Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Making Mixes thread

This is the third time we've had a crack at a thread like this.

Let me give new members a rundown - Previously we've had two attempts at a Mixtape of the week type thing, where someone makes a tape and posts it here, then everyone else talks about it and enjoys it.

The last time it wasn't the most successful venture, didn't get past two weeks from memory. But I do remember someone saying that we should just make mixes whenever we want, and post them up.
I think that's a pretty neat idea, and I made a mix which I think you guys may enjoy actually.

So why not start another one of these?

The Things You Should Probably Follow:

- You make a mix - simple as that! Choose the songs you want, they can be in a single flowing mix or individual tracks - but I prefer it to be at least a single file. Don't have all these loose files laying around.
- The mixes have to be under 60 minutes. No one wants to hear your two and a half hour epic, that's a bit much.
- Be creative with the themes of your mix, take us on a journey or put us in a particular mood with your choice of songs.
- When sharing it, choose a place which everyone can access and download the mix from. You can use the forum (assplant) if you want, but try your best to have an alternate so that those who aren't able to access the (assplant) can enjoy the mix as well.
- You can title the mix, you can post the tracklist, you can explain the mix, and you can even provide a cover for the peoples. It's up to you.

Comments

• any chance we can make these a max of 35 minutes instead? I think a big problem with this in the past was we all get behind and it gets to be too much to catch up.

I will try to participate.
  • or maybe 45?
  • This isn't for a mix of the week thing man, it's just whenever you want to make one and upload it, you can post it here.

You can listen to whoevers, if the tracklist/cover/whatever looks appetizing to you then go ahead and listen.
  • TTKTTK
    edited October 2015
    The Inevitable Loss
    (right click and click "Save Link As")

Tracklisting:
    1. Moodymann - I'm Doing Fine
    2. Herbert - Leave Me Now
    3. Röyksopp - Remind Me
    4. Robag Wruhme - Tulpa Ovi
    5. Animal Collective - Loch Raven
    6. Jon Brion - We Meet Again
    7. Symmetry - Hall of Mirrors
    8. Global Communication - Epsilon Phase
    9. Gel-Sol - Your Day in the Sun
    10. Ólafur Arnalds - Ljósið

It's a sequel to my first mix from a few years ago, La Belle Vie (from the first mixtape series). Starts where the other one left off, but goes somewhere else and evolves into something else.
    Deals with themes, ideas and moods which I've been thinking about and experiencing lately.
  • looking forward to listening @ttk I remember really enjoying your original mix (I go back to that stee downes track from time to time still)

I've been wanting to make a mix for a little while, hopefully I'll have something to post here soon
  • I think the only reason the other mixtape series fell off was because I took a break from posting for a few months and I was kinda in charge. Other than that it was pretty successful we got like 4 or 5 weeks in
  • I like the idea of just having a thread to post mixes in rather than making it a weekly thing.
  • is there a minimum length you'd like to us to try to hit? I actually might try to make one, but it might be closer to half an hour.
  • do whatever you want. It's about self expression.
  • I'm probably setting myself up to only be compared to TTK's excellent space mix, but I decided to make a mix, and it's also about space and the feelings of total isolation, agoraphobia and maybe even beauty that may come with exploring it. I've also been fascinated by the idea of sentient life elsewhere in the universe that evolved at a much different time scale or space scale, perhaps even to the point of being mistaken for a celestial body or organic compound. One's perception of reality would almost be unrecognizable to the other. These are themes and moods I hope this mix explores in some way.

I made this in one night, and I've never done any mixes before, so it's a really rough cut of what I may keep working on. The one thing I can say I'm proud of is the transition between Neptune, The Mystic and [Matchsticks], but I'd really appreciate any feedback you can give.

1. Javier Navarrete - Asturias / Main Titles
    2. Johann Johannson - The Border
    3. Lustmord - Heresy Part I
    4. Akira Yamaoka - The Bitter Season
    5. Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects - Zeta 2 - Reticuli
    6. Tomita - Uranus, The Magician / Neptune, the Mystic
    Aphex Twin - [Matchsticks]
    8. Steven Wilson - Belle de jour
    9. Strapping Young Lad - Info Dump

Download
  • I need to give your mix another go, Yams, but the initial listen was quite cool.

I thought you brought a bunch of interesting and different tracks together and made them work.
  • @ttk

I listened to your mix a few times over this week and I really enjoyed it. The transition over the course from something more groovy and lyrical to something darker and more ambient was seamless. It felt like drifting off into some sort of sad contemplative state. I'll definitely be returning to this one and looking out for more tracks from the artists you selected.

I'm going to get to yours next @yama
  • edited December 2015
  • @TTK thank you! I'm glad someone liked it.
  • From Out of the Other
    (right click and select "Save Link As")

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Tracklisting:
    1. Joni Mitchell - Woman of Heart and Mind
    2. Dusty Springfield - In the Land of Make Believe
    3. The Association - Barefoot Gentleman
    4. The Millennium - Karmic Dream Sequence #1
    5. Brian Eno - In Dark Trees
    6. Eduardo Araujo & Silvinha - Opanigê
    7. Os Mutantes - Ave, Lucifer
    8. Can - Future Days
    9. Brian Eno & David Byrne - Mea Culpa
    10. The Future Sound of London - Cerebral
    11. Sun City Girls - Cruel and Thin
    12. Dirty Three - Red
    13. Yo La Tengo - Daphnia

Additional sound effects added by myself to enhance the mood and structure of the mix.

This mix is meant to simulate both trying to get over a lost/former love as well as spending a night in the forest on a bad (or great) acid trip.
  • bump
  • sorry i promise ill make time for this one
  • TTKTTK
    edited November 2016
    https://archive.org/details/TheRemembering

Made another mix, it started out as me trying to make an underground Australian music mix, and then I got nostalgic.
    It turned into a mix detailing the kind of stuff I listened to right as I started listening to music in the early-mid 00's, as well as the vibe in Australia at the time, with refugees becoming a big issue around then, and technology becoming more integrated into our lives.
    All of the artists are Australian, and there are commercials and news clips interspersed between the songs.
    The alternative radio station Triple J was a huge influence, and most of these artists were big in the underground Australian music scene back in the day.

Working on this one was kind of a nostalgia trip for me.

Tracklist
    (intro)
    0:18-3:32. Spiderbait - Glockenpop
    3:33-7:44. Katie Noonan - Time To Begin
    (News Update)
    8:02-12:41 The Herd - 77%
    12:41-16:05 Regurgitator - ! (The Song Formerly Known As)
    16:06-19:39 Machine Gun Fellatio - Rollercoaster
    (The new must hear CD)
    20:09-24:50 Spoonbill - Half a Lamington
    24:51-29:07 Curse ov Dialect - Bury Me Slowly
    (Paid presentation)
    29:11-32:40 Dappled Cities Fly - Peach
    32:41-36:26 The Sleepy Jackson - This Day
    36:27-40:37 Gerling - Fight Revolution Team
    (Vita Brits)
    41:07-45:13 Stella One Eleven - Go Slow Girl
    45:14-49:07 Powderfinger - The Day You Come
    49:08-54:16 The Waifs - Highway One