Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best of: Quirky Album Titles

"My Love is Higher than Your Assessment of What My Love Could Be" -Harvey Milk

This always makes me chuckle. Partly because it is such a silly mishmash of a statement, but also because I find their music to be so humorLESS. Stupidly heavy, yes...but kind of joyless at the same time.

Comments

• I realise now that you named the thread 'quirky album titles', but I didn't read it properly at first and just thought up a few of my favourite album titles so fuck it, here they are anyway. I don't really go in for the sentence-long album title, I much prefer them to be a poetic turn of phrase which conjures up vivid imagery. I think these six album titles do that really really well, especially the first which is probably my favourite album title.

The Pogues - Rum, Sodomy & The Lash
    A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
    Iceage - Plowing Into The Field of Love
    Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks
    Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West
    De La Soul - Three Feet High and Rising

I also quite enjoy really simple album titles like these which just have a sense of urgency about them:

Brightside - Now and Loud
    LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening

And then there is 'Original Pirate Material' by The Streets, one of my favourite records but it doesn't really fit into either of the above categories. It's just an awesome title because it recognises that the origins of his musical style came from UK pirate radio and it goes so well with the real-life gritty style of the record.
  • Yep. Nicely done. Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash is excellent.... Anyways, the thread is up for interpretation. It doesn't have to be long or oblique or anything in particular. I just had that one stuck in my head and figured there would be loads of "interesting" ones I had never heard of.
  • my favorite will always be Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone?
  • Feedbacker
  • the lonesome crowded west is such a great title and so true.
  • @Robby man you really love that butlers band
  • "Emperor Tomato Ketchup"

named taken from the 1971 Japanese art-house film of the same name!
  • one of my favourite titles is cage's "movies for the blind"
  • @kyle yeah their best album is reflektor
  • Commandeering this thread with "Leaves Turn Inside You" as one of the most impressively depressing album names ever thought up
  • Ok. Depressing but true: "Most Things Haven't Worked Out," by Junior Kimbrough.

And that album is worth a listen for the drumming alone. Simple, pure, groovy.
  • i was gonna say that, kyle. that's the ultimate quirky album title
  • it's also the ultimate quirky album
  • edited November 2015
    "Space is the Place" by Sun Ra. a nice rhyme & a nice description of the music.
  • "It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back" is one that I've always admired, and agreed with.
  • Liscense to ill
  • wow. voiletsomed wins. i need to listen to that shit
  • I read it as Vomitsoiled initially
  • NOFX had some pretty great live album titles:

I Heard They Suck Live!!
    They've Actually Gotten Worse Live!
  • @yama Punk In Drublic is a classic album title. I think my favorite has got to be War on Errorism.
  • When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might so When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right
  • the idler wheel is wiser than the driver of the screw, but whipping cords will serve you more than ropes will ever do

(from memory!)
  • Amp - Astralmoonbeamprojections
    The Microphones - It Was Hot, We Stayed in the Water
    Russell Haswell - As Sure as Night Follows Day
  • @Shelton recently listened to that Amp record, Astralmoonbeamprojections. It's excellent, I want to listen to some of their other records. Do you know anything about them?
  • @ManateeMaster I don't know much about them other than that their late 90's albums are all really stellar. They're like The Birthday Party slowed down turned down 10 notches with 8 layers of haze over it.
  • @Shelton After how you described AMP I think I need to give that a listen...