Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

a thread about classical music

edited December 2015 in General

this bumps

Comments

• i'm not sure if nancarrow is technically classical music, but let's roll with it
  • i'm an absolute pleb when it comes to classical. that said, this is probably my favorite classical piece:
  • i like this piece

• edited December 2015
    One of my favorites:

And, of course, The Planets suite by Gustav Holst. You can't mention classical music without also mentioning this. I feel this laid the groundwork for the style of music our modern film scores employ (just compare Mars' main theme with, say, Gladiator's soundtrack and you'll see the uncanny resemblance), and it's got some downright catchy melodies that are really accessible.
  • That was beautiful! Thanks for sharing @demikat

Was that from "In the mood for love"? I really need to watch that.
  • yea! got time tonight? online viewing party! could sign in to dj plug and just watch it?
  • edited March 28
    What are you talking about? This is discussion of classic music and you want to have party with dj? For what? To play craps free all night long? Choose another topic
  • Plugs a site where you play music for each other lol coming in a little hot there kid
  • i agree with @joanparker. classical music needs to be appreciated in opulent surroundings such as the Radio City Music Hall and on a cruiseship.

i am a big fan of Ravel. the more a piano sounds like water the more i am inclined to drink it, although not actually because you can’t drink sound no matter how close u position urself to the speaker.

idea #17 - discover way to carbonate water with music and bottle it. partner with potato and cobrand it. eventually it’ll have be acquired by Viacom.
  • edited March 28
    I agree that's the ideal setting but if the only place you allow yourself to listen to it in is those settings then there is no way you could possibly educate ourself on the topic without being money money moneybags
  • Just like the ideal setting for jazz is in a dimly lit basement with no AC
  • But I love some Charles Mingus records
  • edited March 28
    i don't support the limitation of when and how someone ought to appreciate classical music. that's a very stuffy and restricting approach.

tout le monde pas roule sur l'or
  • edited March 28
    yea I'm with you 100%, but I also think there's something to be said to the idea that some genres of music are better in a live setting (punk, jazz, classical, EDM lol)

**but that's not at all to say that they can't be appreciated in the recorded form too
  • That's why group muse is the shit!!!

https://www.groupmuse.com
  • They just put on classical music concerts in people's houses and backyards I have some friends in NY who volunteer their place as a space once a month or so
  • In all fairness tho it actually probably depends on the individual piece of music. I mean I started this thread with Nancarrow who essentially intended his music to be a MIDI file
  • that's pretty fucking rad, actually. i'd love to go to one of these things.
  • edited March 28
    nerd shit oh!- classicale <3