Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jazz

Comments

• That's really cool, I didn't know that Murakami owns a jazz bar. Reading "Kafka On The Shore" right now in between text books. Will start "1Q84" next. @demikat
  • Pretty good stuff on his playlist. Herbie, Sonny Rollins, Oscar Peterson.
  • edited April 2017
    @manateeMaster Owned** his own Jazz bar. when he got out of college he bought a little hole-in-the-wall place and fixed it up. he said that for the first 2 1/2 years he questioned his choice cause he wanted it to live up to the monomyth [and honest reverence]of a Jazz bar- but he was diligent and it started to pay off well. it's what gave him the free time when he was 30 to become a writer. But he sold the bar when he made the decision about being putting all his efforts into writing.

My favorite books are "South of the Boarder, West of the Sun" and "Sputnik Sweetheart" - "hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the world", "Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman", "Kafka [on] the Shore" Windup Bird Chronicle is interesting- haven't read 1Q84 - i wemble on the idea.
  • oh! and of course his memoir! my favorite fucking memoir EVER "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" - it's fucking great!!!
  • @manatee - how goes "Kafka on the shore" that (like most of his books) seems difficult to pick up aand put down and read other things. cause Kafka has a slow burn. where are you at in the book?
  • edited April 2017
    eventually it pays off -but oh man - it is like taking a slow drive down a long road.
  • edited April 2017
    @demi I haven't gotten very far, been working on a learning and memory paper. I'm just at the point after he runs away, meets the girl at the train station, and visits the library.

• i would love to hear a deeper, huskier? woman sing this song. someone who can sing with a fuller sound, harsher, but not tina turner style, or nina simone.....someone like
  • this lady - idk what her name is.
  • the soundtrack to Cowboy Bebop has some great music on it. Some top notch jazz stuff on there.
  • edited April 2017
    @demikat that's Tulivu-Donna Cumberbatch, band is the Seatbelts, conductor/composer is Yoko Kanno

<33333333 the Seatbelts
  • I'm absolutely in love with this jazz fusion record by Saagara just entitled "2"
  • @yama ha! like i don't know who the Seatbelts or Yoko Kanno are ;) but the singer - yes that's a very interesting name! Thank you!!!!
  • what's a good song to jump in @Des
  • edited April 2017
    ^^^ yea - that's very good. @Des
  • @demikat so sorry, didn't mean to condescend :(
  • edited April 2017
    OHHHH no!!!! the smiley winkie face was to show humor!!!! some fun ribbing!!!! Sorry I didn't convey that well! no sad faces intended!
    @yama
    aye yah - i hope i'm not that much of a perceived asshole. I'll correct it when I can, tho! =)

as in i hadn't considered it an offense or condescension in the slightest. Just fucking around completely!!
  • ideally - i was even trying to knock on myself a little - cause I'm such a nerd for that information ..yah yah yah yah yah yah and all that.
  • @demikat WHEW! this is one of those cases where text fails completely to convey attitude, and i'm sure if we were shooting the shit in person this would never have happened ;P

we good
  • edited April 2017

New kamasi... maybe someone already posted this i don't know but its fuggin killer anyways
  • It's great. I liked The Epic, but it was way too long. Cutting it in half would have probably been sufficient.
  • ^^ emotionally good ^^
  • @manatee... i tend to listen to the epic separately in its 3 sections. I just can't go all the way through start to end. Shit is just too "epic"!
  • edited June 2017
    new release from brit duo binker & moses, journey to the mountain of forever... definately getting that spiritual alice/pharoah vibe from this one. Incredible percussion from moses boyd who is fast becoming one of my favourite drummers!

• i've planted it straight into the ass homies
  • Will check this out for sure
  • That Binker and Moses is great so far, thanks @Benneh
  • No worries dude. The london jazz scene is really thriving at the moment. If you enjoy that it's worth checking out shabaka hutchings, the comet is coming and nubya garcia...