Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why da funk not?!

Yeah guys, we need dat funk thread!

been listening to a lot of kashif recently after his sad death a few weeks ago. one of the innovators of the "boogie" movement.

git down! rip kashif.

Comments

• edited October 2016
    Also, pre-mercury records ohio players really had that psyche thing going on. their tunes sound like they would have fitted nicely on with any of the p funk movement's records.

• Did you guys ever heard the brazilian funk, or Funk Carioca..? It was created at Rio de Janeiro slums, heavily influenced by Miami Bass, Freestyle music, Afrobeat and - in this case - The Darkness and a strong sex appeal B-)

• pure sex musics from former miles davis collaborator james mtume...

• TTKTTK
    edited October 2016
    any funk fans need to check out Madlib's Medicine Show #10, Black Soul.

It's an incredible mix of funk, soul and disco.

• that sounds real nice nick, i've been slackin on getting into more of madlib's solo production stuff
  • the medicine shows are all good, I like that one and his brazil ones especially out of what i've heard
  • yeah his Brazil mix is great too, lots of great psychedelic rock and groovy folk.

its where I got the sample for this;

https://soundcloud.com/thetelepathickid/shamsh-no-no
  • History of the loop digga is real nice also. speaking of mad, i watched the stones throw documentry 'my vinyl weighs a ton' last night. Real great watch, had me getting all nostalgic from back in the early 2000's when i started getting into madlib, doom and dilla.
  • edited November 2016
    that's a great flip ttk, that track is probably the most memorable from the brazil mix. there's something really compelling about the way portuguese vocals sound. (probably just because I can't understand it, idk if a language can actually sound "good" or "bad" or not tbh)
  • my uncle is in "my vinyl weighs a ton" apparently. I haven't seen it yet but I will
  • Woah... in what way? That's really cool.
  • Soul jazz reissued this album a few weeks ago by swiss-nigerian flutist tee mac. Got a great blend of funk, disco and reggae joints on there. Can plant it later today if people are interested...

• I don't know in what way exactly he just told me he's in it. I would guess he's in some show footage - would need to watch it to find out

& I am interested in a tee mac plant. that song is really good!
  • @secondplanet, it's in there man.
  • edited November 2016
    the new ep from dam-funk and night jewel is some lovely, synthy, squelchy goodness.

• i just stumbled into the world of japanese funk and disco... holy shit this is a nice place to chill!

• TTKTTK
    edited November 2016
    and then the Japanese synth funk movement of the 80's has been repurposed in the new genre of future funk

• Love that album :)