Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Philosophy Thread: What?

Comments

• edited March 2017
    I wonder how much my path of discovery of a topic influences my overall view of said topic.
  • edited March 2017
    @demi The biggest idea I left The Myth of Sisyphus with in my head was the whole interplay between absurdity, hope and suicide he describes in the beginning. Like I said I don't really deal with the fear of death and the longing for a meaningful life a lot of people seem to, I've always been content to just do my thing, not really *despite* absurdity but just kinda along with it. Because of that I don't feel like the ideas really hit home with me.

At one point I remember he asserts that you can embrace absurdity and still be a Christian, which I still don't really understand...

With regards to the thing about numbers etc. sucking the soul out of philosophy, I couldn't agree more. Analytical philosophy has captured English speaking academia with its forumulas and illusion of objectivity. I don't see how anything so profoundly dry can change the world.

That said, continental and postmodernist philosophy is alive and well still all over the world, and I don't think it will be taking back seat to the endless useless defining of terms forever
  • Hooray, we already did a full page guys! They'll be publishing this thread posthumously one day u wait and see
  • This is best thread right now.
  • Post-neo Absurdist forever!

I think it depends on how you understand Christianity to be. That's what i was taking from him.

If you see Christianity as an ideology of faith, not a true in Reality, historically sound, creation theory, but rather as a way to verbalize the abstract and internal spirit and conflict of humanity - why couldn't you be Christian and an absurdist? it's the mythology - it's the concrete re-imagining of the human struggle in stories. and as an absurdist, it's recognizing that life - the force of existence and the very act of existing is neither condoning nor condeming.

and the absurdist Christian may think, "why couldn't God be found in sexual pleasure, or running through the woods at night.

where the nihilist take the negative connotation and say "life has no purpose, therefore nothing has meaning and nothing matters"

i think Camus's absurdism says ' if you can go that for to accept that life has no purpose- then you are equally acknowledging that there are no constructs, no systems, no force to stop anyone from creating meaning where they want.
  • lol god i love that thought of meaninglessness as a blank canvas.
  • that what we create is the work of god, that every week we play out that week of creation over and over again
  • edited March 2017
    philologically speak tho. god as an apparatus to avoid sounding too human.
  • Christianity as an ideology of faith in what, though? Correct me if I'm wrong, and I feel like I could be, but isn't an eternal afterlife and a cosmic order essential to any belief that can be called Christian? If that's the case, then all Christian's choose hope over absurdity.
  • I've just come across a thinker almost creepily relevant to the above discussion:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Bergson

"Bergson is known for his influential arguments that processes of immediate experience and intuition are more significant than abstract rationalism and science for understanding reality. He is also known for having engaged in a debate with Albert Einstein about the nature of time, a debate which eventually contributed to a partial diminishment of Bergson's reputation,[5] until most of his fundamental contributions to French Philosophy were vindicated by the discovery of Quantum Physics.[6]"

"Bergson rejected what he saw as the overly mechanistic predominant view of causality (as expressed in, say, finalism). He argued that we must allow space for free will to unfold in an autonomous and unpredictable fashion."
  • perhaps Faith with a capital "F" . an ideology of Faith. Faith as the destination. Faith is a word that reflects the re-occuring "belief of" or "belief in" that all humanity has in common. All human cultures believe in a Faith of something. Faith is just the English word and suffers from limitations in language.

Faith is a constant and can exist without the clarification of "What".
  • Yeah but isn't Christianity specifically (F)faith in Christ?
  • I don't think so. Remember tho, I'm of the mind that it's mythology. Where as what you're saying, the push that Christianity is specifically faith (not capital cuz it's used as a verb:the action of belief) in Christ, is the creation of power and a heirchary system. Christ on top and everyone below in made up decreasing positions of power till you get to the lowest herd. And a staunch belief in that fulfills the qualification to be Christian.

and for sure, only some Christian sects super push that idea as a qualifier.
  • edited March 2017
    But as a mythology, it's a concrete imagining of the human experience. It aids in Faith (capital cuz it's a noun and force of its own) and comfort of the inevitable unknown and the constant struggle and conflict of man.

it doesn't pivot around the limitation of language and the human fascination to categorize through naming structures

And doesnt aid to a power structure. It's about the human and the humans relations to life.
  • edited March 2017
    So can you be a Christian atheist? A Christian Hindu?
    A Christian satanist?

"it doesn't pivot around the limitation of language and the human fascination to categorize through naming structures"

I'm not sure i understand what you mean here. Are you saying the beliefs/methods/ideas of Christianity (which you I guess are saying is the subscription on any level to Christian ideas) are beyond language?
    I'd disagree, that seems more in line with Zen Bhudism than Christianity. Christianity is importantly intertwined with language imo (in the beginning the word was with God, and the word was God...).

How can a Christian mythology, itself obviously bounded by language produce ideas not limited by language?

"And doesnt aid to a power structure. It's about the human and the humans relations to life."

I disagree with that categorically. Any body of knowledge whatsoever affects structures of power imo.
    With the humanist reading of Christianity I think you're talking about, theres still created dichotomous subject positions (the Christian vs the nonchristian, or even the mythological Christian vs. the institutional catholic Protestant etc.) which opens new avenues for power to flow.
    Nitpicking though, I c wat u mean on further reflection.
  • But couldn't someone practice the ideology and ideas that are Christ-like and do Christian type things without necessarily knowing that those things were taught by Christian religion? It's all just kindness and being swell to one another right? Those things can be practiced and accomplished without having any clue as to who Jesus Christ is.
  • Some people just need religion as a structured way to act right.
  • I dunno manatee man does religion help people act right or is it religion that decides what it is to act right?
    If not religion, than what?
  • edited March 2017
  • Religions are rule makers for sure.
  • behavior management* top-down ^o^

• @demikat I think religion is more of a bottom-up phenomenon, a cycle where pastors come from pews.
  • @Shootymane i think most religious people project their own morals onto their concept of god in some situations, and try to mirror god's morality in others within a kind of symbiotic relationship.
  • i can dig that @yama. but only as a relatively contemporary and sparse phenomenon
  • Hey @geo

how did your paper come out about Silence in Japanese cinema? or was it about Japanese culture in general?
  • came out pretty well - got an A-! happy to send it your way if you're curious. the title was a fucking mouthful but captures the topic i ended up on: "Alienation and Invitation: How Toru Takemitsu and Joe Hisaishi Wield Cross-cultural Musical Influences to Present Strikingly Different Images of Japan’s Past (in Kwaidan and Spirited Away)"
  • I am curious!!!
  • I really need to ... read ...

so I can understand ... this thread. I want to say that I'm enlightened, but this proves I'm ... far from it.
  • @yama it can only be bottom-up because it's top- down. Does that make any sense?