Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Random FUCKING Thoughts VIII

Comments

• Yea that story’s crazy, that guy has done some other crazy stunts too
  • edited April 9
    I’ve been ostensibly vegan for more than a month and it’s really not the hard - at least in NYC

Couple caveats, I’ve been at restaurants with no vegan options so I’ve eaten vegetarian in those instances and I had a little bit of meat in my freezer from before I made my decision that I decided it would be worse to waste than to eat. But 90%+ of my meals have been vegan

I’m not really interested in trying to persuade anyone (always down to talk about it tho), but it’s definitely made my life better. I just wanted to brag somewhere because I’ve wanted to do it for a long time and was always too afraid/lazy to just go for it
  • very nice

I want to do it soon
  • reincarnation prospect

• that guy must be so happy
  • I've kind of fallen out of music a little bit. (not much, really - just a lot of repeats)
    i've listened to some new things that were immediately amazing - but perhaps too easy to play out. which i did.
    i'm going back to college radio for alittle while, i guess. i'd like to be inspired again.

my outings have been a bit experimental recently, but the excitement of the sound and the crowd does kind of fade with the night.
  • i've resolved myself to the notion that there is no music without time and thus when one has more time they have more music. i'm making a change in life where i will have more time and perhaps i can test this theory.
  • I feel like I’ve lost touch with the mode of music listening ppl consider “appreciation” in the pure sense. I had a big stint of classical music, and an ongoing investigation of a few trap rappers with expansive bodies of work and these days I spend a lot more time in thought about music (sometimes while listening to it) or in an analytic attitude about music but never really just enjoying it in a sense of ignorance while alone.
    Like I feel like I don’t listen to music anymore but I technically so its just different from what I used to consider that act.
    I also listen to educational stuff instead of music a lot these days
  • That’s definitely something I’ve gone through as well, in most things intellectualization can lead to a detachment from actually viscerally experiences. It’s a shame

Although I’ll add that as I’ve learned more about music perhaps I’ve gained a deeper appreciation for some things that I hadn’t before but a lot of it is just a greyscape of at best mild curiosity
  • one begins to take things within them as one understands something deeper, and the outer world becomes a meditation. music becomes physiological, as the heart provides rhythm to the body. the hype cycle becomes physiological, as one anticipates a dump or watches the body take form after stayed pattern of exercise. the world becomes physiological as objects become feelings. surfaces become vessels on which thought arrives.
  • dude i anticipate my dumps with trepidation and regret
  • I want to make more time for music
  • music is still a beautiful thing to me.
    I listen often, and I can listen with my intellectual analysis brain and my pure emotional brain.

when music hits both brains equally hard, thats where the truly good shit is.
  • @TTK agreed, that's still where I'm at.
  • hm, interesting. music has always been a centrally emotional/visceral experience for me - the intellectual analysis comes after, in figuring out why that song gave me that experience. i mean i s’pose i could do so during listening but if you’re analyzing too much (say, you’re writing a review and mentally noting things) you miss out on the experience part
  • Believe me if I could turn off the analytical part of my brain I would
  • There are of course exceptions, they just occur less and less
  • Maybe I need to go to more live shows
  • yeah i feel you @geogadd1. i always felt sick when i heard a certain chord progression and realized after learning some music theory that it was Am, F, C, G (or relative 6, 4, 1, 5) that was doing it.

doesn't really change anything because ppl will continue to play it and find it beautiful but at least I can know myself and navigate this world of varying tastes and ask them NOT to put mayonnaise on my cheesesteak.
  • edited April 17
    Lol mayo is a good description. Those chords are definitely too indulgent for my taste

Like all chords could probably make them sound better by changing how they’re voiced
  • edited April 17
    i don't know. i couldn't wait till they stopped playing eagle eye cherry on the radio. and did manuver away from the sound where available.
  • edited April 18
    For the most part - i listen to digital music files or streaming
    BUT i got different format for the quirk and fun of being physical
    and if there was anything I could have really! been into from Record Store Day - it would have been that Bill Evans "Evans in England"

uhhhh this looks amazing! i want to listen to it
  • edited April 18
    how historically/culturally contingent do u guys consider your mode of music consumption to be and in what ways?

• historically - i follow the mode trends that are available. culturally - i follow the mode trends that available. my parents had some vinyl, but mostly cassettes. my dad had very high-tech, for the time, cassette players. i remember using floor speakers as additional pieces of seating furniture.

i was introduced to CDs in my parent's second marrige and the trend became "upgrade" - new marriage was an upgrade - CDs were an upgrade. i learned how to burn vinyls onto cassettes - i got my own cassette player and mix tapes. everything became smaller, i sat on the floor more.

i'd pirate from the radio - eventually, i'd pirate from the internet. but since streaming allowed for an ease of consumption - i just do that now - tho - techinically, i don't pay for the account myself.

i have vinyls, tapes, ...no CDs tho.
  • I’m mostly exposed to new music from the internet, and do most of my talking about music on the internet. I don’t know what I’d do without it. I don’t have a lot of friends who like the same music I do, there’s overlap in some cases, but honestly I feel pretty isolated sometimes. All I want to do is talk about music but I struggle to find people who love what I love, I mean that’s how I ended up here honestly. I’m grateful for the spaces full of musical weirdos, and for the handful of friends in the meat world I’ve had to discuss this stuff with
  • Like R+7 is one of my favorite albums of all time and I’ve never listened to it with another human. That makes me sad
  • one of my favs too. i’ve listened to it with my best friend from hs though & he loved it. blessed to have friends who are at least open minded about weird music hah
  • What other music communities do you all frequent? Looking to diversify my music exposure a bit
  • edited April 24
    @toon_malk this is my primary music community, but i also go on /r/metal a lot. I also use the 4chan /mu/ wiki's essentials guides to explore genres. Also, RYM has some great lists, and the forums aren't bad.