“Classical” Music Thread

This thread is for the discussion of orchestral, chamber and solo music that has arrived to us across time from the Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Modern and Contemporary periods.

I would like to initiate discussion with this controversial classic

What’s everyone’s experience with Classical music? Favorite periods, contries, composers? What is the value or lack thereof of western classical in the 21st century?

Comments

• I’m 99% sure theres a thread for this already but I couldnt find it

• welp I found it but a new thread seems more likely to stimulate discussion so lets pretend I didnt

• i am pro new classical. a wonderful tradition betwixt time and folly ahaha

• don't have much foundation.
    teach me about it.

• edited July 31

My favorite period and country is Russian Romanticism. Tchaikovsky's ballets are wonderful, The Nutcracker, Sleeping Beauty, and Swan Lake are all favorites of mine. I also really enjoy Coppelia, by Léo Delibes.

Swan Lake's overture always gives me chills:

• well, i remembered that i'd never seen swan lake <<tho, i'm familiar with the music &story cuz Princess fucking Tutu is amazing! and anime>> Anyway! i bought a ticktet to see the russian ballet theater group performing Swan Lake. so, i'll see that soon =^-^=

• That’s awesome, demi!

• I only have a light knowledge of classical, mostly the greats, film composers, and modern composers like Richter and Nico Muhly.

I have got the radio in my car (when I'm not playing my phone or CD's) tuned to the classical station, just for something different.

It's mostly what I expect to hear, the romping orchestral jigs that everyone normally associates with classical, but there's also some chamber pieces, some solo piano, classical guitar, a bit of everything under the classical name and I enjoy listening to it from time to time.