Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Movies

Comments

• I actually liked that it was so dense, it made the viewing that much more draining for me.
  • I'm gonna see it in a few days,

you fellas get me hype!
  • Hereditary

I thought this was great. The twists and turns the story took kept me guessing, and made me reevaluate what the film was about several times before actually just giving it to you and being like "yeah this is what it is"
    Very Rosemary's Baby in that sense. Once I had figured that out (which admittedly was by like the last 20 or so minutes) I was able to really just settle in and get scared.

The cinematography was brilliant, the amount of blocking that made it look very stagey worked well (i'm assuming that was deliberate considering the opening scene) and the extremely slow pans and long takes were effective.
    The performances were all solid to fantastic. The obvious stand out is Toni, but as TJ said Ann Dowd was great as the friend, and I am on the fence about the son.
    What he did worked well, it all felt believable in the moment but I see what Robby's saying.

Stetson's soundtrack only added to the dread and the horror of the film, another plus.

I think what sold me on everything though, was the scares. The horror elements. They were not forced, they did not jump, they were always introduced in a way that said "Isn't this creepy, aren't you scared?" not like "BOOM got ya, haha!"
    That was so thrilling to watch. I was expecting jump scares, and they appeared early on, but once it settled in it just starts and all you can do is just endure it.

I kinda agree with the lines of dialogue, felt almost added in post to give "clarity" to what's going on.
    All in all I felt it was refreshingly scary without being shocking, and never pretended that it was something other than what it was.
    A fuckin' horror film.

8/10
  • edited June 14
    I'm willing to give teenager portrayals a pass because they're not well-adjusted, emotionally mature adults yet. They're teenagers. They often are stilted, awkward, uneven, blank, all of which make good performances sometimes look like bad ones.
  • iunno.

he looked as old as Jason Schwartzmann did in Rushmore.

maybe that's an unfair link. Maybe links are unfair because kids develop at different times. I dunno.
  • Sure, and I get why people wouldn't like his perf, but I didn't mind it.
  • tbh only thing keepin hereditary from being charmingly esoteric was the soundtrack w basic fluttering saxomojazz rudiments. not really that into horrorjazz
  • I honestly don't remember any sax in the score
  • Colin Stetson did the music so there was definitely sax
  • solaris was cool
  • the real solaris that is
  • edited June 14
    only reason i didnt see it already was that sleeping pill of a remake
  • edited June 14
    i had a whole thing happen recently where a complicated chain of misunderstandings lead me to have convincing reason to believe my girlfriend was dead for like 2 hours and just based on that I don’t think I could have watched that movie if I was an actual widow (or whatever widow in the masculine is i forget) shit would be like eating glass
  • widower
  • that’s what I thought but doesn’t that sound like the dude who does the dieing?
  • I liked both Solaris(es) quite a bit.
  • Never saw the Soderbergh, but the Tarkovsky is an all time favorite
  • hm

the good doctor seems to be lukewarm on Hereditary,

• watched Tucker & Dale vs. Evil

Incredibly entertaining, and quite impressive how the film makers found ways to make the pretty one note comedic conceit work for as long as it did.

7/10
  • Yeah that movie’s a lotta fun
  • What We Do in the Shadows

So much fun, the film moved so efficiently that while a lot of it felt improvised or some moments felt like throwaway jokes, these parts would often come back in later jokes or plot points.
    The documentary style helped aid the in-the-moment feel of it.

There was an unfocused feel to the plot which kind of made it feel a little unsatisfying when it ended, like the only thing it really wrapped up was the relationship between Viago and Catherine, but that's it.
    Like it could have just gone on for another hour, because there was no through line, we're just watching these vampires live life in modern times.

But it was funny through out and I think that's what made it work for me.

7/10
  • It felt like 3 episodes of a Concords-like series, but a very very hilarious one
  • TTKTTK
    edited June 28
    apparently a series based on the film is going to premier on FX next year,
    so we'll see how that goes.

Paul Simms and Matt Berry are involved so there's legs to it at least.
    additional edit: And Scott Rudin, who's produced quite a lot of fantastic films.
  • gonna see Sicario 2 this weekend but I’m still very skeptical
  • I cannot wait for this:

• TTKTTK
    edited July 5
    You've probably heard about Nanette

its the new Netflix comedy special from Australian comedienne Hannah Gadsby.
    It's getting praise from seemingly everywhere, with places such as Vanity Fair and the Washington Post giving it rave reviews.

For good reason, too.

Nanette is Hannah laying out her life story, how she was brought up in rural conservative Australia, and how this conflicted with her sexuality. Hannah takes comedy and breaks it down to discuss why we fear to be ourselves, and in her case, the structures within society which created this negative feedback loop for wanting to be who she wanted to be.
    She throws a lot of barbs at straight white men because they were and are her reason to feel like she didn't have a place in this world, that her story wasn't worth telling.
    It's not a show about how we should feel bad for her, for women, or for marginalised people. It's a show about how there's a story worth telling within all of us, and there's always tension within that story which we often cover up with jokes because its easier for people to stomach.

It's about finding the power of self worth, and holding those who denied you that self worth accountable.

It's a brilliant hour of stand up, which has just as much to think about as it does to laugh about.

9/10
  • also watched Akira a few weeks ago but didn't talk about it,

I loved it.
    I mean the visuals and action are next level, and the body horror aspects which come into play in the final third are gross but awe inspiring.
    But just on a story level it works so well, because despite the amount of characters, every single one is given screen time and it feels like they all have their part to play right up until the end of the film.
    So even though there's all this chaos, explosions and craziness with about 10 different characters playing an integral part to the story, it moves in a very coherent way.

That just made it so satisfying and easy to watch, at no point was I ever struggling to figure out what was going on, which is something I was worried about when the film started and about three stories begun almost simultaneously.

I just found it an exciting and wild watch. Great animation, great story, great action.

9/10

also rewatched both Videodrome and Suspiria recently,

because so often you watch films in your younger years and they blow you away but you don't return to see if they can keep that impact going.
    Suspiria, while initially making me think I was looking at it through rose tinted glasses, made me feel comfortable pretty quickly. I can confirm that its still one of my favourite horror films of all time.
    Videodrome resonated with me even more on second viewing, with maybe a deeper understanding of Cronenberg's film making helping this perception.
    Its visuals are still awesome, and the metaphors seem deeper and more complex, and resonate even today.

both are 9/10, if not 10s.
  • Some great films, lately, Nick!
  • Kermode and Robbie Collin debate Hereditary