Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Movies

Comments

• TTKTTK
    edited July 2015
    am I cynical for saying that I expected this

I mean obviously terrible news, but it's something which I've been inevitably waiting for.

It stems from Pitchfork, but the site had a feel of its own which was probably a little higher class than Pitchfork, and you don't get much revenue from talking about art films all the time.
  • I hear you. Ever since they stopped the podcast the first time, I felt mortal. That was only made more apparent when Rabin was let go. 
  • I totally think there's room for sites like The Dissolve considering the success of sites like Grantland and FiveThirtyEight. I don't personally have the time for intelligent long form film criticism in my life, but I'm sure a lot of people do.
  • TTKTTK
    edited July 2015
    I don't even know what would be a good replacement.

Maybe the AVClub? I dunno.

Actually I wonder if any of them will return to the AV Club, that is to say, if the AV Club has room.
  • It could be as simple that some corporate deity was told the money was better spent on a giant site like Pitchfork versus Dissolve not being profitable.
  • oh. my. god. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

holy fuck, i loved the dissolve so much. that was the best film criticism site i have ever seen by a good margin. the pieces were just so fucking excellent. god DAMN IT! i seriously feel kind of sick. one of my favorite new sites, gone so fast.

the shittiest part is that the site is just such a standard of excellence. it's gorgeously designed, and the writing and content is fantastic. even the comment sections are productive and interesting! i just can't believe an offering can be THIS good and still fail.

such bullshit. 
  • edited July 2015
    there is no replacement. not that i know of, at least. this site was leagues above any criticism site--film or otherwise--that i've ever seen. this is a sad, sad day for artistic commentary.

i sound melodramatic, but i'm serious. the dissolve was superlative. so pissed.

edit: i wish they had let on to financial difficulties earlier on and perhaps allowed its readers an opportunity to help out. i certainly would have donated a couple bucks if it meant keeping the site up longer.
  • It was the best film site in terms of the diversity of content and the quality. Even when I disagreed, I respected the opinion enough to care. 

Nick was posting about alternatives, like the AV Club. I think RogerEbert.com has good writing, especially by Matt Zoller Seitz, who for me is the best out there currently. Individuals out there like Bilge Ebiri for Vulture, Mr. Hyperbole David Ehrlich for Time Out New York/Little White Lies/FitWR, and even the good ole A.O. Scott and Manohla Dargis for NYT are voices worth reading and listening to for both insight and creative prose. 
  • At the risk of sounding undeservedly bitter and elitist, people don't value medium-to-longform cultural criticism nowadays. Hell, they probably didn't back in the print era, but that was okay because publishers had a steady, reliable revenue stream back then to foster more niche interest material. We've reached the point where any good writing you read on the internet will be on the writer's personal blog or on a website completely propped up by clickbait and a swarm of pop-up ads that pounce on you from page to page.
  • i don't think that's bitter or elitist whatsoever. people don't, and this site's being shut down is proof of that. it's a damn shame.
  • You're right. You pretty much need a wealthy and passionate patron to create criticism as an art form and not merely an enterprise with click bait and other topics that I've already listed. 
  • well I'm gonna be bummed the rest of the day
  • The Dissolve was great, wtf
  • Dissolve Postmortem Interview:
    http://blogs.indiewire.com/criticwire/editors-keith-phipps-and-scott-tobias-on-the-end-of-the-dissolve-20150709

It's just as bleak and disheartening as you expect it to be.
  • Well shoot dude, I mean I didn't read the Dissolve regularly, but I visited a few times and have got a few articles bookmarked that I really enjoyed. It is definitely unfortunate to see a long-form criticism site to go. I'll check out the alternatives you guys mentioned though, so thanks for that.
  • hell even with Mark Kermode, Simon Mayo and their podcast, they have many people writing in saying they don't listen for the film reviews, or that they don't even like film, but enjoy the banter.

I think this might be the start of not just niche internet dying, but niche interests. 
  • TTKTTK
    edited July 2015
    also to leapfrog from that article,

a pretty interesting and rather well written comment struck my eye;

"Guys, you did great with The Dissolve and you deserve to be proud of it but seriously... can we whine a little less please? There are hundreds and thousands of little publications - both online and if fortunate, offline - around the world that are accomplishing pretty much the same goals stated by the editors of The Dissolve here and dare I say, much better. They are all barely scraping through, function out of countries with absolutely no avenues that support culture or major outlets that patronise them (such as in your case), but they still continue to run. There is no taking away from your effort, but it is ridiculous how every critic in America seems to labour under this grand martyr complex - listen, you guys are the lucky ones, there are thousands of talented critics around the world who do this on a daily basis without recognition or reward, and also do not wallow in self-pity or participate in long discussions about the imminent death of the grand old profession whenever an opportunity presents itself. Seriously, as film critics, your job isn't merely to encourage nuanced discussion of cinema (hardly a noble aim) but to expand your view of the larger circumstance around the world and put your own - therefore - in some perspective. It's a pity The Dissolve doesn't run anymore, but it is hardly fair for you to think of the one publication you run and its closure as being symptomatic of the 'larger trend around the world'. As cinephiles, your primary duty is to acknowledge the existence of a world outside of your immediate environment - a quality very few, if any, American critics seem to possess in the present generation. Most of you talk, I am sorry, with your heads far up your own asses. Consider this as the great message of criticism: on the opening page of his 1964 publication, 'Interviews with Film Directors', Andrew Sarris wrote, 'To all the little magazines that run without any money' - your crisis is hardly new or exclusive. Get yourself up and work for the cinema - there will always be a way if you are looking."
  • i'd love a list of those sites/publications that do it as well or better than the dissolve.
  • A little callous, imho. 
  • edited July 2015
    agreed. seems to be trying kind of hard to be #edgy
  • He raises a couple of decent points but yeah
  • Affleck is directing a standalone Batman film

I really really hope Zack Snyder has nothing to do with this because I really want to be excited about a superhero related thing again
  • Yeah, the Affleck Batman is the first DCCU (Are they calling it that yet?) that has piqued my interest. 

And fuck sexism. No, stop fucking sexism so those people die alone. 
  • Ennio Morricone (aka THE GUY THAT SCORED THOSE COOL SERGIO LEONE WESTERNS) is scoring The Hateful Eight

in the midst of all of this 70mm bullshit this is easily the thing that made me way more excited
  • You guys see Pacific Rim 2 filming starts in November?
  • I'm really excited for that movie, Robby!

@SirMeatwad Interesting. I hope Pac Rim 2 has more replay value than the first one does for me. I'm quite a bit more excited about Crimson Peak right now than another Pacific Rim movie. 
  • the dude scoring QT's new movie is 86, though.

hopefully the guy is all there mentally.
  • the first Pacific Rim set up a nice mythology so a sequel should be interesting, I'm just hoping the characters are better and it looks a little less murky