Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Movies

Comments

• edited July 2015
    Now he's helping Lynyrd Skynyrd write "Freebird".
  • He just called some lady a whore and the screen paused and they did the pixel eyeglasses meme.
  • I want to die
  • somebody told me about the pixel eyeglasses part. kind of a bummer to have confirmation that they didn't make that up
  • please don't tell me you watched the whole thing
  • I have to know how it ends
  • edited July 2015
    So the movie is told in flashback and a character Joe meets in the future just showed up in the past and HE KNOWS WHO SHE IS.

this movie wasn't written
  • well you chose to watch something with David Spade,

and you'd think he'd be the first person able to dig himself out of shit like that.

also did we know this was happening? I don't remember it being announced ...?
  • @kyle that's a really elaborate way to fuck up
  • Just watched Ex Machina. Definitely thought it was a cool movie. Gives the audience a lot to think about. I'm a programmer myself so I especially liked it lol
  • Joe Dirt is not a great movie, but it's at least mildly entertaining.

Joe Dirt 2: Beautiful Loser is absolute dogshit, it doesn't have a single redeemable quality of any kind. 
  • I saw Terminator Genisys last night, I was surprised how much I liked it considering how middling the reviews have been. If you've ever liked Terminator before, it's worth seeing.
  • @TTK I remember hearing that Noah Baumbach was doing something again with Greta Gerwig, but I did not realize that was being released so soon. Were you a fan of the last movie they did, Frances Ha?
  • Yeah I loved that film.

I was less hot on While We're Young, but another collab between Baumbach and Gerwig is makin me excite.
  • Oh I had forgotten about While We're Young. I'll have to see that if only because Baumbach directed it.
  • I actually saw the trailer for that before Amy, had no idea it existed really
  • Mistress America looks hilarious. It looks more up my alley than while We're Young looked (a movie I still plan on seeing now that it's on DVD). 
  • the only thing I remember from Joe Dirt was Christopher Walken tap dancing and im pretty sure you could just get that on youtubes

• you're all still not listening to the Kermode & Mayo podcast, and you're still not hearing thoughtful and deep conversations such as this.

• "This is the kind of movie that shouldn't be reviewed so much as fed through a malfunctioning industrial shredder. Cock first, as I assume is the custom over at Happy Madison"
  • when I saw the trailer for that movie I was so fucking pissed that it was almost a problem for me to remain in the theater.
  • and that's as someone who doesn't have a ton of reverence for classic arcade games because I grew up as a Nintendo kid. If I was like 10 years older I'd probably be plotting to kill Adam Sandler right now.
  • well that #1 is bizarre
  • holy shit Juliette Binoche has amazing taste

1. Scenes from a Marriage (1973) 
    2. The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) 
    3. The Turin Horse (2011) 
    4. All of Orson Welles’s movies 
    5. Once Upon a Time in America (1984) 
    6. The Seventh Continent (1989) 
    7. The Sacrifice (1986) 
    8. The Leopard (1963) 
    9. The War of the Roses (1989) 
    10. A Touch of Sin (2013)
  • That was THE list imho. 
  • at this point I'd take any James Bond theme not performed by Jack White and/or Alicia Keys
  • I actually enjoyed that theme...
  • TTKTTK
    edited July 2015
    White Dog

"That dog is sick!"
    "Then he should be cured."
    "Darlin', the people that made him sick made him permanently sick."
    "Then the people should be put to sleep, not the dog!"

Sam Fuller's controversial 1982 (made in, but not released) film, which involves a young actress hitting a German shepherd, and then taking it in. Not long after, it seems to be an attack dog, but not just a normal attack dog, one which specifically preys on black people. In an attempt to rid the dog's violent nature, the woman takes the dog to an animal trainer who attempts to cure it.
    The film is an uncompromising look at racism, and that if it can be taught, can it be unlearned? 
    It plays like many high concept b-movies from the 70's and 80's, with some gruesome gore scenes, and a rough around the edges feel, but also, like what comes with some of these high concept pictures, there's a lot to think about in terms of themes and ideas. The gore and the roughness give the film a brutal quality which make the ideas presented within the film more tactile and understandable, rather than preachy.
    The story is great and the acting is all there, with the final act being incredibly tense and thrilling. I found this to be a very enjoyable film, and I thought it was one of the best takes on racism as a subject in film I've seen *coughCrashcough*

9/10