Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Official Anime/Manga Thread

• yoko kanno is one of the greatest musicians and composers ever!
  • another life changing anime!

• and yet another! Kids on the Slope!

Jazz in Japan!

• yes. this is my own little world! Of the collection of Seatbelts albums associated with Cowboy Bebop, this album ranks high.

• This clip from Attack On Titan has me thinking about picking the show back up.

i'm glad it hasn't been taken down yet. So intense!
  • every great movie you love has always been anime first.
  • Ohayogozaimashita!
  • It's Show Time!

• edited April 2016
    So fucking perfect!! this is absolutely a spoiler if you're thinking of watching the movie. But it's pretty tame from the rest of the movie.
  • Elfen Lied. Pretty good anime. Kinda falls apart in some places.
  • proper song in full
  • "Anime" style music is so fucking satisfying.

• Yea I have no fucking idea who hollywood is trying to attract at the theaters anytime they make live-action anime remakes.

• edited April 2016
    umm.. I'd say that on a whole I've never really been interested in live action adaptations. I only watched the few episodes of the Sailor Moon adaptation cause it was Sailor Moon and my mania could withstand the barrage of cringe until I had to tap out.

but - you could play around with the idea (for Ghost In the Shell) that since the American audience is diverse and an american studio is making the adaption, that a diverse casting for the original Japanese characters would be more marketable and appealing to the new audience.

however, american films are notorious for white-washing the diversity out of films they've adapted; the very opposite of embracing diversity. Even when there's room for diversity, it's white-washed out.

For instance - Harry Potter. Lavender Brown is a black british character in the books AND in the early films. HOWEVER, when it was revealed that Lavender Brown is a love interest of Ron for the length of a book, the film completely dumps the black actress (and forgets that the character was black at all) and casts a white actress to give screen time and kisses to.

and for me that was upsetting. It felt totally sincere in books and again, they really shat on Ron's character in the movies - for me this was another subtle feature that I appreciated about Ron AND Rowling's storytelling, But it was just fucking whitewashed away.

So if hollywood is going to say that the world of Ghost in the Shell has left room for diversity to be included in the casting, THEY BETTER FUCKING BRING IT.
  • "Ya Good morning!"

• edited April 2016
    Shout outs to Korean amalgamations too. Way deep in my heart! 파이팅!

although, culturally (from personal experience) the embrace of american black culture isn't nearly as acceptable in Korean culture as much as it seems to be present in Japanese culture.
  • i like soul eater
  • edited April 2016
    Oh! but you know what anime really takes that ideology and makes it fucking worth it!? fucking WORTH! it!!!!?

Puella Magi Madoka Magica!! That's a great magical girl anime.

• OH MY GOD! if you want a tight, FUCKING TIGHT! anime that's adventure, sword play, fantasy, magic and MOAR!!!

Scrapped Princess! Fucking YES! Bones!!!!!

• edited April 2016
    I heard somewhere recently that all nerds eventually have to decide between anime, comic books, and wrestling.

I'm happy with my choice, but I enjoy seeing people excited about stuff so I still open this thread from time to time. Happy people make me happy.
  • I think it's specifically those 3 groups of things because they're all such giant commitments. If you really want to experience everything they have to offer you'll have to sacrifice elsewhere... probably sleep
  • @Demi that all said I think we both have the anime and wrestling threads to ourselves. Nobody can take them from us.
  • i like anime and comics. mostly comics tho i guess.
    the character designs and fight scenes are all awesome in soul eater. i guess i like it visually before anything else but i also grew attached to a lot of the characters. i dont think it had too much fanservice except for that cat lady
  • @kyle, you're good company, Kyle. I'd gladly share my nerd-dom with you!
  • edited April 2016

it's true. the 1986 fucking CLASSIC and ONLY Transformer movie that exists isn't conventionally considered anime. But there is no mistaking its roots. So i will always claim it for the genre!!!!

Nothing's gonna stand in our way!!!!
  • I loved Transformers: The Movie so much when I was a kid. I had it on VHS and probably watched it 100 times.