Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lists Thread

Comments

• @Robby did you happen to listen to Cymbals Eat Guitars that year? I think that record is really strong.

I also remember being ridiculously into Future of the Left's 2nd album that year. It's not Mclusky but goddamn is that record a lot of fucking fun
  • TTKTTK
    edited February 2016
    2009:

1. Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca
    2. Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
    3. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion
    4. The XX - The XX
    5. Fever Ray - Fever Ray
    6. Camera Obscura - My Maudlin Career
    7. Bibio - Ambivalence Avenue
    8. Grizzly Bear - Veckitamest
    9. Squarepusher - Numbers Lucent EP
    10. Black Moth Super Rainbow - Eating Us
    11. Various Artists - 5 Years of Hyperdub
    12. Yo La Tengo - Popular Songs
    13. Atlas Sound - Logos
    14. St. Vincent - Actor
    15. Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx.... II

I actually found this kinda difficult to fill 15 places.
    I don't even remember my original list from this year.
  • Also Robby, have you cooled on Hospice? I know you weren't huge on The Antlers' latest record but I remember you saying Hospice would have appear in your best of all time at some point or another.
  • yeah my taste has changed a lot since then. still a solid record but i doubt id have the same emotions about it
  • daddy was an asshole, and he fucked you up
  • edited February 2016
    Hospice is far and away the best album of 2009. Nothing comes close besides maybe that Fever Ray album but still. I'm Residentadvisor had to pretend Midtown 120 Blues was released in 2009 to even crown a deserving AOTY that year lol.
  • nah MPP was the best album of 2009.
  • edited February 2016
    MPP is the best of can i think of in terms of the data aggregation technologies of the time but then again i began to like the record in 2011 lol
  • best of the 90's Warp Records school;

1. Squarepusher
    2. Boards of Canada
    3. Plaid
    4. Autechre
    5. Aphex Twin

maybe Two Lone Swordsmen as well? I dunno.
  • top 10 phoenix

1. One Time Too Many
    2. Girlfriend
    3. Too Young
    4. Rome
    5. Courtesy Laughs
    6. Bourgeois
    7. Everything is Everything
    8. Drakkar Noir
    9. Summer Days
    10. Lost & Found
  • top 5 albums which predominantly feature sampling (one per artist and no hip hop with rapping)

1. The Avalanches - Since I Left You
    2. The Books - The Lemon of Pink
    3. The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightning, Strike
    4. DJ Shadow - Endtroducing (it's instrumental, it counts)
    5. Matmos - A Chance to Cut is a Chance to Cure

hm Girl Talk - Feed the Animals
  • Artists the shootyman doesnt like that other people who have more educated oppinions about music than the shootyman like:
    1. Kendrix
    2. Rtj
    3. Radiohead

Gosh thats about it I think. I can't stand Jay Z but I feel like a lot of ppl agree with me there. I also once rapped a Jay zee verse in front of like 400 ppl so idk if im even allowed to voice that
  • @nick you like those five better than person pitch? just downloaded that go! team album, looks sweet
  • @Shooty you don't like Kendrick, Run the Jewels, or Radiohead? I HAVE NEVER HEARD YOU EXPRESS THESE OPINIONS BEFORE
  • I don't know if i ever put them all in once place before. Each post is a room and I wanted that one furnished fully
  • @shooty I feel u on the Radiohead
  • Artists I'm not crazy about at all that ppl super educated about music are all about:

1. Sonic Youth
    2. Joy Division
    3. Bob Dylan
    4. The Beatles
    5. The Beach Boys
    6. Beastie Boys
    7. Sigur Ros
    8. Interpol
    9. Battles
    10. Daft Punk
  • beach boys nooooooooooo
  • oh I completely forgot about Person Pitch.
    That'd probably be 3.

Also hell, why not put in Daft Punk's Discovery in there as well.
  • Sonic youth at number 1 hurts a lot
  • edited March 2016
    I pretty much only like Washing Machine and Daydream Nation.

Dirty and Goo are alright.
  • I dont like sigur ros because it was explained to the young shootyman as "like opera" and the young shootyman detested opera
  • I went to an opera once it was fucking drek
  • Pinkerton is loosely based on an opera so they can't be all bad
  • edited March 2016
    Im sure mose operas are really good but the one I saw was 3/4 refrain 1/4 verse and the verse was just variations of the refrain it was 2 1/2 hours with no intermission
  • edited March 2016
    Lotta fractions in that post my bad 3/10 job by me
  • Yeah I like opera in theory and watching arias/individual pieces is fun but sitting through an entire opera is not enjoyable for me. I don't even know if I could sit through The Magic Flute and I like almost most songs from that opera.
  • @Kyle Murray Street and Sonic Nurse are great too
  • Rather Ripped is rather alright
  • Most consistent artists of the 2010s?

I'm thinking of any artist that has released two or more great records since 2010, and that hasn't released any shit ones. Ideally the artist would also have been primarily active in the 2010s but I'll let that one slide to include artists like Swans or GY!BE. I guess obvious picks would artists like Kendrick and Swans, but I'm not hugely into either of them so I've just included personal favourites rather than consensus ones.

Cloud Nothings (Attack on Memory and Here and Nowhere Else)
    The Antlers (Burst Apart and Familiars) - I'm sure I'm the only person on this forum which thinks this
    Tim Hecker (Ravedeath, 1972, Virgins and Love Streams)
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor (Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend! and Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress)
    Run The Jewels (Run The Jewels and Run The Jewels 2) - also R.A.P. Music and Cancer 4 Cure