Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Controversial Opinions Thread: The R.E.M. Thread for sensible people who are also idiots

• Hahahahaha whaaaat
  • Pretty much yeah
  • consensual sex is overrated!
  • Whoa whoa whoa I'm telling my local feminist
  • So STD's and unwanted babies are underrated?
  • shit i thought my volunteerism thing was contrarian but uv got me beat damn
  • hospitals are overrated
  • So is world peace
  • hospitals are chill when you have universal healthcare 
  • Nah, you still never leave the hospital saying, "Hey, I had a really great time today at the hospital".

It's just less bad when you have unversal healthcare.
  • Ha yeah I was just being facetious. Although do have a photo of my walking out of hospital on crutches with a big grin on my face but I wouldn't exactly say I had fun that day....
  • Some of my controversial opinions :
    - I don't really like "Loveless"
    - Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress is better than Allelujah Don't Bend Ascend
    - Vaporwave is one of the best genres around
    - "Illmatic" is one of the worst "cult" hip hop albums i've ever heard
    - I hate Ramones
    - "To Pimp A Butterfly" is not in my top 2015. In fact, it's in my flop.
    - "The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" is one of the worst Pink Floyd albums.
    - "Moondog" is boring. And I like minimalist music.
    - "Surfer Rosa" is cool. "Doolittle" is pretty bad.
    - I don't like Tom Waits.
    - Björk is NOT a modern genius.
    - "Memory Almost Full" is awful.
    - "Weezer" is one of the worst rock albums ever.
    - I freakin hate Kanye West.

Now, you can throw your stones
  • which Weezer are you talking about
  • The blue one, but they're all bad. I even prefer the green one.
  • edited September 2015
    Oh wow, so this gives us a lot to talk about. What do you like from this year?

- Vaporwave is one of the best genres around"

What makes you feel this way? Vaporwave always struck me as one of those things that's more culturally and conceptually interesting than good in any way except a whole genre of that
  • i didn't like loveless much until i'd heard it 8 or 9 times. but when it clicks, oh boy...
  • Vaporwave is pretty awesome IMO. Not only the concept. Musically, there's some really good stuff : Eccojams, Floral Shope, the new 2814 album, Eco Virtual, and almost all the Dream Catalogue releases... Really, it's one of my favorite genres right now ! 
  • - I don't really like "Loveless"
    that's okay, I think it's really good but I don't love it as much as a lot of people do either.

- Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress is better than Allelujah Don't Bend Ascend
    Is this controversial? I don't remember the latter being all that well received.

- Vaporwave is one of the best genres around
    well, there's no accounting for taste.

- "Illmatic" is one of the worst "cult" hip hop albums i've ever heard
    are we listening to the same album? because I'm listening to the one where Nas completely changed the game forever.

- I hate Ramones
    hating bad bands is not a controversial opinion

- "To Pimp A Butterfly" is not in my top 2015. In fact, it's in my flop.
    what else is in your flop? 

- "The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" is one of the worst Pink Floyd albums.
    I'm pretty sure it's just a divisive one. I know lots of people who think it's incredible but like you I don't really love it outside of a few songs.

- "Moondog" is boring. And I like minimalist music.
    I have no idea what this is.

- "Surfer Rosa" is cool. "Doolittle" is pretty bad.
    why? it's not as if those records are drastically different from a songwriting perspective.

- I don't like Tom Waits.
    I think he sounds like the cookie monster.

- Björk is NOT a modern genius.
    I don't really have an opinion on Bjork one way or another.

- "Memory Almost Full" is awful.
    I don't think hating a Paul McCartney album is even kind of controversial

- "Weezer" is one of the worst rock albums ever.
    they have 3 self titled albums so you should probably say which one you're talking about. If it's the blue album you just hate fun, flat out.

- I freakin hate Kanye West.
    If I made Late Registration I'd probably be a huge asshole too.

• I hate some of Kanye's music but I can't ever not love Kanye as a human being
  • @FlorianDecros, you listen to EccoJams and it gives you brain pleasure? I can appreciate it from my love of things experimental and silly, but I definitely don't find it enjoyable per-say
  • I like 2814, but part of their whole thing is that they want to take the vapor-wave aesthetic and make it less disposable
  • edited September 2015
    I'm just genuinely curious: what aesthetically is it that you like?
  • eccojams is the most palatable vaporwave release i've heard at least, but I couldn't stand Floral Shoppe so I'm not the right person to talk to about this
  • eccojams is fun to listen to, especially if you're under the influence. definitely gives me pleasure. i agree with robby; it's pretty easy to take compared to a lot of vaporwave
  • What doesn't do it for you about the Blue Album? It's such a universally loved album that I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the opinion that it's "one of the worst rock albums ever". I've heard people say it's not really for them because they're not into a lot of hooks in their alt rock, but never that it's one of the worst. You're aware of the existence of Creed right?
  • @geo i've tried ecco a few times under the influence of different drugs but i always find it so grating and to it's credit I know that it fucks around deliberately but at some point I can only listen to the same 80s sample slowed down on loop for 3-4 minutes straight and not the 5-6 it sometimes requires of me
  • In fact, I really really hate pop punk, and punk rock. So Weezer is a nightmare for me. OK it's fun, OK it's melodic but i don't really like it. But I have to say that they know how to write melodies. For Paul McCartney, I love his solo career, it's one of my favorite artists, but I really hated Memory Almost Full. 
  • Interesting post, I think I disagree with some of what you said, but I am indifferent to most of it actually.
    Out of what you said I think the only two I come close to agreeing with is hating Kanye and Bjork not being a modern genius.

And to be fair, I hate Kanye as a person, but some of his early work is still pretty great.
    I don't think Bjork is a modern genius but I think she is an innovative songwriter. Her music doesn't always work for me, but when it does, it does.

For disagreeing, 
    - about Loveless. It's definitely overrated, but it's a great album.
    - Vaporwave is very hit or miss for me. It depends on what the musician does with the music, it has to not just have that sound but also do everything else that good music does. Things like have engaging melodies and progressions, it needs to develop and have a good sense of structure (which a lot of Vaporwave tracks don't), it needs either be cutting or original, or at least extremely enjoyable as a listening experience.
    I've come across various vape projects which do do this, and a lot which don't. In fact I was just bumping that VAPERROR project today, I quite enjoy it. Mostly because of it's interesting mash up of vaporwave and footwork, which works really well. It sounds organic and not forced.
    - TPAB is not in my top 5 of the year, but it's in my top 10. I feel it's a pretty great project and might be the best hip hop album in a good while.
    - I like Doolittle. Don't love, but like.
    - The biggest disagreement, Tom Waits. I've fallen in love with his music over the past year and I've at the very least enjoyed a lot of his projects. I find his aesthetic, his style, his songs, his voice, his original approach to blues (might be a rip of Beefheart to an extent, but Tom took it to a darker territory) and just the mood he creates with his music to be infectious and wonderful. I've become rather smitten with the man, and like a Stereolab, even if I don't love a of his record as a whole, it's always worthwhile listening to because there will be a few gold nuggets in there.
  • @toon i can definitely see how it would be grating. but i've gotten very good at tolerating repetition, so the incessant looping doesn't really put me off. then again, i only really can make it through about half the album in a given sitting; it's a little too homogeneous to keep me interested for the full hour
  • About Kanye West : When I listened to "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" and "Yeezus" for the first times, I didn't know any things about Kanye as a person. I discovered his (awful) personnality after so they didn't influenced my thoughts about his music.