Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Metal

Comments

• i've liked The Faceless the couple of times I saw em live
  • edited October 2015
    I'm kinda conflicted on some of their songs. I find there's the nugget of a good idea somewhere in a few places, but it gets lost in all the faffing about they do musically.
  • edited October 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited October 2015
    yeah the clean shit on autotheism was poopoo
  • edited October 2015
    PD is definitely their best. They let their drummer shine a lot more than on their newer stuff, the breakdown in Xenochrist has a really nice groove to it. I also liked the demo of The Eidolon Reality when it came out, even though it had really sterile, programmed drums (which is understandable, since it's a demo). The guitar solo at the end had this really eerie production to it, and the cleans sounds listenable in that form. They Devin Townsended them to oblivion in the album release of the track, though.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lol those crickets
  • so between this, new Magrudergrind, and new Boris/Merzbow, the beginning of next year should be pretty eventful for metal

https://www.facebook.com/RottenSoundOfficial/posts/10153692667478754:0
  • edited October 2015
    thoughts on recent metals:

Abyssal - Antikatastaseis
    haven't gone through the whole thing yet and i was tired as fuck when i tried but this seems like kind of a clusterfuck. Some good ideas but then they do shit like the keyboard line at the second half of the third track that doesn't mix with the rest of the song at all. they pull distracting stuff like that every now and again that turns me off but I'll return to it at some point.

Ghost Bath - Moonlover
    I don't give a fuck that this is an obvious Sunbather ripoff as much as I give a fuck that it's the worst sounding black metal record I've heard in 2015 by a country mile. The electronic drum sounds alone just make me giggle. Some alright melodies here and there but nothing to see here.

Windhand - Grief's Infernal Flower
    yet another stoner doom band extremely hot in the "scene" right now that I find utterly boring, just listen to any Electric Wizard or Acid King record instead and you'll have heard everything on this album but better

Hope Drone - Cloak of Ash
    This really should have ended at 4 or 5 songs, a band with abilities as relatively limited as this really doesn't need to be pushing the 80 minute mark. That being said I dig what they do, it's the kind of long winded epic "post-black metal" that reminded me of why I loved this style so much before it got stale (see: Ghost Bath). recommended
  • edited October 2015
    Still really liking the new Mgla, and that Imperial Triumphant album is metal aoty.

I kinda agree on Abyssal, but I enjoyed the atmosphere in some places. Inconsistent, yes, but I enjoyed pieces of it regardless.
  • edited October 2015
  • This isn't at all new, but if you're into Meshuggah and haven't heard their I EP, check it out. It's a cornucopia of sorts of every incarnation of their style (with the exception of their first album and DEI to some extent) wrapped into one 21 minute epic. I like this a lot more than their newer material because it was composed improvisationally in a jam session, and bar-by-bar they reconstructed those ideas into this song. It certainly shows, and as someone who appreciates spontaneity in songwriting and structures, I find it a fascinating piece of music. Most of the transitions here come out of nowhere at a breakneck pace, as if the band unknowingly winked out existence, and in the same instant were replaced with different versions of themselves, playing the next passage as if nothing happened (no pun intended). It's disorienting, building a void-like atmosphere. Perhaps the most disorienting passage of the track, from about 5:30-8:00, utilizes a pretty standard 4 over 3 polyrhythm, but played at a blistering tempo. The kick drum and china cymbal maintain the 4/4 rhythm, and the rhythm guitar follows the 4 counts as well, while the snare maintains 3 over it, but at that tempo the snare feels anxious and frantic, like it's lost control by gaining too much velocity and has no choice but to continue to maintain, if not slightly increase, that velocity. It's a really unique passage that creates an atmosphere of utter chaos. I keep coming to this over the years and I always find it an interesting track.

• Surprised by how much I'm loving the new song from The Faceless. The return of their original singer seems to have helped, as I love Akeldama, but didn't find Planetary Duality compared well, and Autotheism was a chore to get through.
  • edited October 2015
  • i dont really care for The Faceless at all as far as their records go but they put on a killer live set
  • what is the gorod like?
  • do you have any opinions on new dumbhagen shinobizzle
  • edited October 2015
    lol i meant deafheaven, it wasn't a good joke
  • edited October 2015
  • not feeling it unfortunately :\ mostly because the softer post-rock ish sections feel super tacked on and out of place, like for example when "Gifts from the Earth" has a random ass sappy acoustic guitar flying in outta nowhere it kills an otherwise great track for me (I really would like to see Deafheaven explore that screamo side of their sound in future albums). that and some of the heavier parts aren't working for me either, I actually thought the breakdown on that track was kinda dumb tbh. i love "Brought to the Water" and "Luna" for the most part
  • edited October 2015