Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

the math thread

edited July 2015 in Welcome
i dont get some shit in math and im starting to realize as i do more shit related to mathematics in post college RL that there's some fucking assumptions in academic mathematics that dont mean anything in RL.

the biggest things for me is in angles. why 360 degrees or 90 or 45? if I want to approximate the circumference of a circle, i want to work my way up; the circumference of a circle is the convergence of a parameter of a polygon as the sum of the length of sides as the number of sides approaches infinity. I see math shit be like hey bro, want to graduate in mathematics? well here's a little clever trick that ppl will assume is a math thing but its actually just an old trick to avoid really learning the nature of the "circle".

"That's how we got a 360 degree circle. Around 1500 BC, Egyptians divided the day into 24 hours, though the hours varied with the seasons originally. Greek astronomers made the hours equal. About 300 to 100 BC, the Babylonians subdivided the hour into base-60 fractions: 60 minutes in an hour and 60 seconds in a minute."

Like for real? you're teaching me some book keeping technique of an ancient civilization so i can convince ppl that i'm smarter than them? thats some corporate finance bull shit.

aside from my plight of trying to approximate the circumference of a circle without some arbitrary assumption, this is the math thread, lets talk about math. answer questions, ask question, whatever. just talk about mathematical shit. no stoner fractal shit bro  

Comments

• That's interesting. I always just figure 360 was arbitrarily chosen because it's a nice number in that it's divsible by lots of other numbers.
  • I really want to get back into learning more math stuff but it's tough post university. After work I just wanna make some food and derp around online and then I find I've wasted all my time.
  • haha hedgeway that's what i was gonna say. 360 is just really nicely factorable, so you can split it into halves, thirds, fourths, sixths, 9ths, 10ths, 12ths, 18ths, etc.

math is the best btw
  • and as we all know, music IS math
  • edited July 2015
    @hedge i recently got a new dev job at a small company after 3 years of corporate content management work and i have to really get back into modeling and abstraction in order to stay afloat. being 3 years out of technical academia makes it tough but i'm also finding that some things have become easier to grasp and more applicable to RL problems, especially all that wonderful discrete math stuff
  • I paid too much attention to a man who talked in math, and now all I know is that 2+2=5.
  • i dont understand watt's going on
  • that's what you get when you mess with us.
  • Math is the Most Awful Thing from Hell
  • math is beautiful and the driving force of human progress
  • but it's also dick
  • (but i'd be lying if i told you i didn't like it most of the time) (but i understand it's not for everyone)
  • is music math?
  • If you're radiohead it may be
  • Yes, music is math
  • "The attempt to structure and communicate new ways of composing and hearing music has led to musical applications of set theory, abstract algebra and number theory. Some composers have incorporated the golden ratio and Fibonacci numbers into their work."

Reginald Smith Brindle, The New Music, Oxford University Press, 1987, Chapter 6 passim

• 1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11+12+13+14+15+16+17+18+19......if you continue to infinity, the sum of the integers is not what you think it is. At all.

And you get a completely different answer if you do it Shellac style:
  • The sum of the natural numbers is -1/12
  • edited January 2016
    If you want to learn how math relates to music, look up the Harmonic series (while listening to Meshuggah, of course)
  • i bought a book in hopes of acquiring a math "game" but it turned out to be a book about shapes and how shapes are everywhere? eh..it lost me when I became convinced I had accidentally bought something occult.
  • yeah math turns into mysticism fast if u dont have an end game in mind
  • related: I started a game theory text book recently them guyz know whats fuckin good
  • edited January 2016
    I've been getting really into math recently via getting rid of all the lined paper in my life
  • The true beauty of math can not be contained by being crossed by horizontal lines every inch
  • Lined paper is the reason people hate math
  • my end game was trying to understand algebra II, but instead I opened a portal with chalk drawing on my wall. I still can't simplify the numerator and solve for x.