Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NINETEEN NINE HUNDRED AND NINETY THREE

edited August 2015 in General
talk about '93

Comments

• I forgot to make the new thread at the beginning of the month, leave me alone.
  • edited August 2015
    Earth 2: Special Low Frequency Version
    36 Chambers
    Soulvaki
    Siamese Dream
    Midnight Marauders
    Neurosis - Enemy of the Sun
    Death - Individual Thought Patterns
    Doggystyle
    Eyehategod - Take as Needed for Pain
    YLT - Painful
    Carcass - Heartwork
    Houdini
    In on the Kill Taker
    Transmissions From the Satellite Heart

fuck a great year
  • only ones i've heard enough to say are great are 36 chambers, souvlaki (recently fell in love with this record), midnight marauders, and painful
  • TTKTTK
    edited August 2015
    also wanna put in mentions for Stereolab's Transient Random-Noise Bursts With Announcements, Autechre's Incunabula, Polygon Window's (Surfing on Sinewaves), Souls of Mischief's 93 Til Infinity, and Bjork's Debut.
  • As it stands for me right now:

1. Liz Phair - Exile in Guyville
    2. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
    3. Slowdive - Souvlaki
    4. Red House Painters - Red House Painters I
    5. Bjork- Debut

HM: Stereolab, Nirvana, Jamiroquai, Wu-Tang, Snoop Dogg, Yo La Tengo & PJ Harvey.

I want to hopefully get to: Tindersticks, Dead Can Dance, Mazzy Star & Flaming Lips among others.
  • Stereolab and Autechre would probably make my list. Vampire Rodents' Lullaby Land obviously too.

Lanegan's Whiskey and Mercury Rev's Boces are pretty great too. Mazzy Star, Lida Husik and Lycia releases from this year would be up there too.

• Reachin' by Digable Planets deserves a mention too, I think. Less celebrated than Blowout Comb, but I couldn't choose between them myself. 

93 til Infinity, 36 Chambers AND Reachin = Three top-tier hip-hop albums that are presently topping my 93 list.

Gonna check out Doggystyle too.
  • this is pretty great

• This is what I have so far. I still have quite a bit more to listen to. 

1. Yo La Tengo - Painful

2. Wu Tang Clan - Enter the Wu Tang (36 Chambers)

3. Snoop Doggy Dog - Doggystyle

4. Nirvana - In Utero

5. John Williams - Schindler’s List OST 
    HM

1. Slowdive - Souvlaki

2. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders  

3. Depeche Mode - Songs of Faith and Devotion

4. PJ Harvey - Rid of Me 

5. John Williams - Jurassic Park OST

6. Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

7. Pearl Jam - Vs.

8. Red House Painters - s/t
  • edited August 2015
    @robby ++Demilich, and pretty much everything else you listed, Fugazi, Death, Neurosis, Carcass

@Dallas ++Siamese Dream, Rid Of Me

@Dom ++midnight marauders, Souls of Mischief, Digable Planets-Reachin

Wu Tang
    Nirvana
    Mazzy Star- So Tonight that I might See
    Slowdive
    Bjork

Hell yeah this was a great year

• TTKTTK
    edited August 2015
    also shout out to Primus' Pork Soda.

They may be the fathers of nu-metal, but their weird silly mix of 90's alt rock, grungey metal and funk is fun, and Pork Soda is a nice little dark record.
    Bob in particular is a great song.
  • Oh, I forgot that one. Pork Soda is my favorite Primus album.
  • KRS One return of the boom bap.
  • bozo in 1993:
    1. Melvins - Houdini (9/10)
    2. Earth - Earth 2 : Special Low Frequency Edition (9/10)
    3. Darkthrone - Under a Funeral Moon (8/10)
    4. Eyehategod - Take As Needed for Pain (8/10)
    5. Carcass - Heartwork (8/10)

probably should listen to some pop music lmao
  • fuck pop
  • The only one I haven't heard is the Darkthrone album.
  • Honestly, I should probably just carve 1993 into my fucking arm because somehow all of these albums came out that year.

• '93 til infinity and Doggystyle are pretty great too. 
  • and listen to Icky Mettle you assholes, it's one of the best albums ever and like 5 people care about it.
  • @Kyle Archers of Loaf are pretty rad, I've heard Icky Mettle, but I have to say it's been a long time since I've heard it.
  • edited August 2015
    randomly came across this tonight, and holy shit this band seems incredibly rad and original.
  • i think there's a brand of lackadaisical performance that exists in the vacuum of the 90s that keeps me from enjoying some shit
  • yo pavement is one of my favorite bands so I'm clearly into imperfect performances.
  • that's a prime example, I like Pavement but something about that approach I can only get into to a certain extent for some reason. I mean the earliest music I got into was punk rock so I'm naturally inclined for more energetic shit i guess
  • edited August 2015
    Has anyone besides me heard "Exile in Guyville"? I've been obsessed with it these past couple of months. It's extremely 90's indie to the point it might sound ever so slightly dated to some, but the songs are fucking masterful. Hooks galore.

• Exile in Guyville is such a fun album. I think anyone who likes guys will find something to relate with there, and MOST people who aren't attracted to guys will too. 
  • I tried that album recently and I didn't really get it. I'll probably give it another shot soon.
  • The year before Britpop broke out thanks to Gallaghers. I did enjoy Blur's For Tomorrow.