Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

technologyThread

Comments

• edited March 26
    damn another heavily typed language that compiles to JS. i swear if i could write code this way for a living it would cut my days in half.

http://www.purescript.org/
  • edited March 26
    I wish I knew Haskell better than I do.

I use TypeScript on a regular basis, and even that level of strong, static typing is really useful. Also, decorators!
  • i'm so tempted to begin experimenting with haskell snap but i'm stuck on elm json decoders and can't live with myself unless i can figure out how to decode the first element of a JSON array of objects of type X to an elm value of type X. seems like all the decoder utils are built around primitives.
  • edited March 26
    all the json APIs i use are wrapped in array brackets even if they're representing one value. heavily typed languages do not like that.
  • nvm shit is always easier in programming when you begin to complain about it on the internet.
  • @Ocaml oh yeah, that works for me too sometimes. just explaining the problem to someone else helps the brain thinking through problems.
  • Yo assembly is dope
  • Do like qauntum computers even have registers
  • rubber ducking
  • @shootyman kind of, but they can hold more than 2 states
  • edited March 29
    This is the kind of web code inspection and reverse engineering I love doing

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/87s1fl/psa_reddit_has_enhanced_their_tracking_they_now/

Also, reddit tracks you a lot more now ;(
  • i've been thinkin
  • i think about chaos monkey
    applying it to the daily life
    could it be useful
    simulating catastrophe
    suppose i lost a b c d e f g
    how would i respond, adapt survive
    suppose i ran it in the morning
    or even at randomized intervals
    and it broke important things, could those things be fixed.
  • I JUST REALIZED I'VE BEEN RUNNING HYPERKIT ALONGSIDE VBOXHEADLESS BECAUSE I HAVE BOTH DOCKER FOR MAC AND DOCKER TOOLBOX INSTALLED

no wonder my mac's been so slow
  • gitlab is so freaking cool
  • edited August 11
    I have it set up to build and deploy my whenever I merge changes into my master branch. You can also set it up to try to build a non-master branch when you're ready to merge, and if the build is successful, automatically merge that branch into master and then deploy, all in one click.
  • That's awesome, I'm actually in the process of trying to set up a bunch of environments and this seems better than using Azure or some shit like that
  • Microsoft owns GitHub now so there might be a large exodus to gitlab and bitbucket if they ruin it
  • Microsoft owns GitHub? That's a bummer
  • Must have missed that
  • I don't necessarily agree with the the way they distribute the functionality but I love the conversation this starts
  • edited August 12
    Micro-Frontends sounds like an interesting idea, but it looks like it has a lot of downsides unless your app is already really complex.
  • I think the way they split the architecture doesn't make sense, but custom components with native support opens the doors for lots of alternative architectures and generally speaking I think function oriented teams works a lot better than typical FE vs BE teams
  • the ideal workplace would still rotate these roles so everyone gains insight into most of the app but streamlines individual feature development
  • I'm also not a fan of using different frameworks for each area of the app but I generally like service oriented development
  • automated merges terrify me. i just use commit hooks for building and linting and always merge into master thru peer review. its also a policy of my company for maintaining PCI compliance.
  • @Ocaml agreed, but this isn't automatic merges exactly. I can choose when to merge, but I'll only go through with the merge if the build succeeds.