Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Comments

• YO YO hakush-yo!! He's sick with it! yay! nice new discovery
  • I might have been too hard and ignorant about it.
  • edited June 2016
    Thank you, Kyle <3
  • edited September 2016
    "A Letter to Momo" a slice of life, fantasy, folklore story of a young girl coping with the changing world after her father's death revolving around the incomplete letter she found addressed to her in her father's handwritting.

What I like most about this movie is the usage of the incomplete story in minor arcs that drives the entire narrative. The incomplete letter from her father drives the story and it acts as a concrete visual of what an incomplete story looks like. However, there are several other incomplete stories, slices of life, through this movie as well with no intended answers ever showing an intended reveal.

and how much more art imitating life could you get! so many tiny mysteries you may never solve - that may fall to wayside of your life story. But that doesn't mean that the story stops progressing.

great movie! I love anime!
  • it's the dedication. i fucking love it. ^^^
  • edited October 2016
    Prison School.

I'm one episode into the live action - then I'll work my way to the anime. so far it's interesting. I'm watching it for the weird and the satisfaction that the oddity will intensify.

• Prison School is the best!!!!
  • I've been told about that show before.

apparently the anime's full of fan service.
  • yea- but better than eroge fan service (which is brief up skirt shots and large clevage.) Prison School actually delivers the fetish!!! both the liveaction and anime stay very true to the fetish service.
  • Whats the cool new thing that angry Anime nerds get angry that people are just now watching? I don't really follow this stuff but every so often I like to check out whats super hot in the world of Anime. I think the last thing was One Punch Man but I'm guessing that's old news now.
  • ^o^ what a question! I'm not sure. I've never been accused to be out-of-date in my anime consumption.

here's a list of summer titles from 2016 with rating. I'm sure this could help.
    https://myanimelist.net/anime/season/2016/summer

and I'm sure "Prison School" could fall into that category - cause it was a manga first. You can always depend on some otaku somewhere to dismiss your creds cause they read/watched it first.

• edited October 2016
    This isn't new - but I get nerdy and angry with Watamote!

It's an hilarious, cringe anime called "No Matter How I look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular"
    An anime about Watamote Tomoko and she's just a honest, human fucking mess.

WATAMOTE!!!!!!

**everyone should watch Watamote!!!! ****
  • She plays dating sim eroge, yandere, and fetish videogames. she wants to be popular but can't get past her social anxiety. I fucking love Watamote!

• edited October 2016
    o0o0o0o0o0o0o I had to pause this anime so much and cool my face down from being red. just couldn't take in all the cringe.

so - before this scene - Watamote has recorded herself responding to the yandere audio clips and now she's listening to its combined conversation. Which is why Watamote's voice is flat on the recorded playback.
  • I just always notice these hardcore otakus getting mad about a certain anime being really popular, so they think it's become some pleb level trash, like Anime hipsters. Stuff like Death Note, Sword Art Online, Attack on Titan and One Punch Man come to mind (although of those 4 only DN and OPM I actually liked, the others I hated after a certain point)
  • I finished the first season of SAO because the fights were pretty cool, but I didn't like any of the characters or care about any of their relationships. The main character was a self-absorbed douchebag and his love interest was good for much other than being constantly sad or in peril, so after the second game was done I was out.

I know the exact moment I lost interest in AOT, it was *Spoiler* after the main character was eaten, then later returns as a Titan himself. It just felt like it was done for cheap shock, and they found a pretty weak way to write out that he wasn't actually dead.
  • @demikat did you know that Ernest Cline lives in the neighborhood where I work and I help him ship books all the time
  • WHAT!!!!!! That's so fucking cool @ManateeMaster!! you just pal around with him?! too cool!
  • Haha! Not exactly he comes to my office and it's strictly business. But we've talked a little and he showed me a picture of his Back To The Future Delorean. Also, you probably already knew this, but ready player one is being made into a movie directed by Steven Spielberg.
  • @manateeMaster

yea - I'm ...reserved in my excitement for the movie. I have a very distinct image influenced by my imagination. I'm confident Spielberg will understand the 80s aesthetic part, but my concern is that he'll push it too far for not understanding the rust-punk, high tech - low culture, distopic aesthetic.

and I think that "Spielberg" is too shiney of a name to ignore -but at the same time - that shiney-ness lends too much polish.
  • i would add - that feeling i'm looking for- the one that I believe ought to be pressed the most in the movie is escapism. the endless rusted wires contrasting with the brights blues of syntac bursts and the vast expanse of the inner mind and imagination always threatened by the falling eroded iron towers of reality. sufficating all the time when you're awake and in the world, but being able to breathe when you're alone, in the dark, online.

Spielberg hasn't shown me something like that in his film best. he's very of the world and comfortable in it.
  • It's going to be very glossy for sure, which is kind of disappointing.
  • to my knowledge - this is not in an anime. But it should absolutely - hands down - be in one of the greatest, most heartbreaking, beautifully quiet melancholy adventure of lost dreams and overcoming. Mature subject matter and content applied; whistful ideologies and harsh truths.

that's something i want to see.
  • edited November 2016
    tons of cute! super cute!!! magical girls, too!
  • Anyone watching Keijo? I had no interest in it but I kept hearing people I like raving about it. After the first episode I kind of dig it. The concept is silly, but with how seriously they take it, it makes it really funny and entertaining.
  • what! will give it a try if you think it's funny.
  • Well it has plenty to go around.