Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

• yeah i can't speak on his other films and this one was far from a critical masterpiece but its an intriguing bag of tricks at the very least. i could see it being a valuable film to examine on a method level.
  • new-ish Dardenne brothers movie is now streaming on Netflix, y’all know what to do
  • I've seen Kill List,

It was interesting. I remember the ending, but not necessarily the tonal shifts in a scene you're talking about. I may have to watch it again.

The other Wheatley films I've seen (Sightseers and High Rise) were both better in my opinion, but not by a large margin.
  • omg i need to watch that doc!!! that clip alone was super super funny
  • why did no one tell me that Harmony Korine has a new movie out this year with McConaughey?
  • my bad lol
  • Didn’t know that was happening. Hyped
  • Saw The Daughter (based on a play called The Wild Duck) cuz i wanted to see a contemporary adaptation of Ibsen and it was good. v potent family and society drama around some pretty severe interpersonal circumstances.

but what had me the most was a scene with someone holding a wounded duck and weeping having lost the world they thought was kind and loved them. maybe it was the duck and how benign and passively inquisitive it seemed amidst these very tragic human affairs. i think i have great respect for ducks.

i'd be lying if i said i don't also think duck is delicious and makes for some of the best french and chinese dishes. i think where the duck film falls short is its lack of exploration into the emotional dimension of duck: the duck confit, the gésier, the foie gras, the magret de canard, roast duck wonton soup, peking duck, and the many wine pairings both red and white that make such wonderful wind-swept evenings by candlelight in a summer's rain.

a good film nonetheless. 22 points.

• saw The Audition cuz i wanted to see a nice japanese horror film. knew what i was getting into but didn't realize it'd be sweet talking me for what felt like hours (in a good way) and then proceed to immobilize me and stick needles thru my stomach and eyelids then attempt to saw off my ankles. 17 points.

• fuuuck i might watch that tonight
  • edited January 4
    It’s one of my favorite films of all time, and one of the best horrors ever made. It’s so psychologically, surreally disturbing for reasons that have almost nothing to do with the torture aspects—it feels like a genuine nightmare
  • yeah its pretty insane
  • Audition is fan-fucking-tastic. I rewatched it recently, and found it even more rewarding on second viewing.
  • Some really great advice for video essayists and artists in general in that piece
  • That’s depressing
  • yeah, i read that a bit ago. super, super well-written & i learned a lot.
  • today is a day of heartbreak and sadness
  • they gave some very great analysis on fincher and kon.
  • Yea- their Satoshi Kon video was pretty spot-on awesome. it's one of my favorite and I go back to it, probably a few times, since i first saw it.
  • I know I probably shouldn’t overhype shit but fuck it: what are yalls most anticipated movies of 2018? Here’s my impromptu list

You Were Never Really Here (Lynne Ramsay)
    Zama (Lucrecia Martel)
    Let the Sun Shine In (Claire Denis)
    High Life (Claire Denis) (if this does get released next year, fingers crossed)
    Annette (Leos Carax) (^ same)
    Isle of Dogs (Wes Anderson)
    The Nightingale (Jennifer Kent)
    Lean on Pete (Andrew Haigh)
    The Rider (Chloe Zhao)
    The Death of Stalin (Armando Ianucci)
    Mary and the Witch’s Flower (Hiromasa Yonebayashi)

also mainstream shit I’m interested in: Annihilation, Incredibles 2, Halloween, Early Man, Creed 2, Black Panther, A Wrinkle in Time
  • im also here to say that Nicholas Ray’s Johnny Guitar is so fucking great and Joan Crawford is my queen
  • Call Me By Your Name is as beautiful as a Linklater film, but man the relationship is a little cringey as it seems to deviate into this forbidden twink affair, which seems to be rampant in Hollywood.
  • i’m really excited to see that film
  • “forbidden twink affair”

• edited January 6
    Eh the kid says he's 17 but looks more like 15 and perpetuates this near obsessive lust for the older handsome man who portrays a cool intelligent Hollywood type. It's the sort of reality that gives credence to acts by Kevin Spacey and Bryan Singher and the like. Fuck being classy. Tis basically a story centered around a male Lolita
  • I’m pretty sure the age of consent is a lot younger in Italy than it is here (just looked it up, it’s 14). There’s nothing remotely pedophilic about the relationship between the two characters in this film
  • edited January 7
    Just have to agree to disagree. The kid skips around with a backpack, lays on his parents with a sort prepubescent glee and reflects on life in such a naive manner. Everything is fairy tale for him. And as viewers we're supposed to be look at the age gap, the monumental difference in experience and applaud the parents for having the empathy to let him run wild with this man as if there relationship displayed the epitome of love. However it's mostly physical based. They wrestle, engage in footplay, tease each other with innuendos and sexual advances. It's more puppy love infatuation than any sort of deep rooted magnetism which would warrant the speech given by the father in the end.
  • See I certainly saw the deep rooted magnetism, but it’s fine if you don’t. But that has nothing to do with what you were saying earlier about how this movie “gives credence to acts by Kevin Spacey and Bryan Singer and the like,” which I think is way out of bounds. To suggest that Call Me By Your Name at any point condones coercion or pedophilia is just absurd to me, accusations like that should not be thrown around so lightly, especially when those accusations are simply not reflected in the film.