Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Comments

• edited January 5
    yeah "happy machine" is pretty nice. as far determining whether his work is anime or not seems like an inconsequential topic....generally because he doesn't rely on cliches in his work yet hes worked on more traditional stuff that does seem like anime. most of his own creations are self contained which is refreshing to be honest. granted he's mostly known for tatami galaxy which is most definitely closer to whats considered anime.

I generally like yuasa cause theres usually a display of ambiguous topics like the human condition and the search for inner courage which you see a lot in Ping Pong. it seems that his philosophical commentary is pretty heavy handed lol.
  • why is it an inconsequential topic?
  • mostly cause defining anime never really leads to anything positive imo. all the stereotypes that come with anime are mostly what keeps it confined in its own niche and depraves people from approaching it in any other way. specifically when talking about yuasa in a thread about anime it loses me (again just my own opinion) since hes made anime but he also mostly just does whatever he needs to do to produce his image.
  • alright, my dude - i guess i'm just sayin -
    postin him in a categorical box -while definin him ouside that box - but sayin that very conversation was not significant
    is what i'm taking away, here.

remains a light and valid convo to me
    so, I agree to disagree. B-)
  • edited January 6
    dawg that was all in form of flattery...putting my mans inside the box and at the same time pointing out that he doesn't belong in a box and that the box is insignificant without anything in it is giving homie props.
  • started watching fullmetal alchemist: brotherhood and immediately binged nine episodes. i am hooked!!
  • edited January 8
    you're starting with "brotherhood" and not the FMA 2003?

which might be the better direction. "brotherhood" follows the manga's direction closer. Brotherhood is pretty great! but I watched FMA 2003 first - and since there's overlap, when I watched Brotherhood, it felt slow.

still - amazing variations and story!
  • yep, my friend told me brotherhood was the place to start, since '03 takes liberties with the source material. seems i should get the base first. but i plan to watch both!
  • But to be clear:
    It's a totally valid experience watching FMA 2003 first, cuz it was made first.

It's an absolute gateway anime. Its one of The gateway anime for an entire n00b generation of the double oughts. its fuckin brillant and touching, from art to story and soundtrack. It's an "all times"; One of The

But now you gotta get through 52 episodes to get there!! (^0*)
  • edited January 8
    And you dont get to hear the amazing l'arc en ciel openings!

It was a great moment in anime fandom!
    [Personal outburst]

Im very excited your getting into FMA. Brotherhood is very awesome. The prospects for you are brilliant B-)
  • i never got into fma but i can see its appeal its a very emotional tale about alchemy and the soul n stuff
  • i think alphonse was too depressing of a existence for me to cope with
  • edited January 9
    totally. Brotherhood takes the concept deeper. I think the existential questions of Alphonse's circumstance are posed well in FMA 2003, but treaded upon in a, perhaps the right word is, "shifted" focus. not so "lighter" of a concept-just not so involved as Brotherhood. but well done and rightly so for the story variations they created.

Brotherhood asked some other questions that made me think "oh, yea...that's another interesting take."

but, yea. all are stressful
  • god i am loving this. highly addicted, already like 25 episodes in.
  • i don't think i've ever watched brotherhood just the 2003, maybe i'll give brotherhood a chance soon.

everyone is so obsessed about the devilman crybaby ending and the paradise lost similarities but i honestly just liked the arbitrary freestyle rap interludes lol.

the manga was really good at capturing the character of satan but thats just what happens with manga.
  • it's late, but holy crap I just watched something amazing!! AND ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION is a part of the sountrack!!!! a new song!! they sound more mature than 10 years ago, for sure.

"Night is Short, Walk on Girl" Yoru wa Mijikashi Aruke yo Otome

it's bright and funny.

<3 https://www.vevo.com/watch/asian-kung-fu-generation/kouya-wo-aruke/JPU981700686 <3
  • this is definitely a very AKFG inspired cover art, too. very on par
  • the art style is really great in that movie. theres just so many great looking scenes,
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5GnnE5VUAEc_q8.jpg
  • Recently rewatched Yuyu Hakusho and boy are the characters charming. The first couple of episodes are a little rough, but the chemistry between characters like Yusuke, Kuwabara, Hiei, Kurama, and Boton is all really fun to watch.
  • I remember really liking that show as a kid
  • Sorry if this isn't on topic enough for this thread, but I NEED THIS TO HAPPEN

• It's Pacific Rim vs. Godzilla?

fan poster or real movie?
  • Yeah! And it's a fan poster.
  • Except it has to be the godzilla from Shin Godzilla, not one of the american versions.
  • need more shin gojira
  • @OCaml have you seen it? They kind of set it up for a sequel.
  • saw it in a theater with a bunch of gojira stans who were really confused
  • edited April 17
    the elevator ride up to the movie was intense. there was a man who traveled with his kid from middle america to time square just to see it shouting over another man who had a massive backpack.