book

Comments

• have you read any kafka, like the trial? his stuff is very surreal & interesting (also very funny imo), though it can be polarazing
  • Yea I read the trial for our book club lol
  • I'm a Kafka fan, back in College someone once described my writing as Kafka-esque and I was giddy for a week
  • Kafka on The Shore was wonderful @toon_malk I highly recommend.
  • for what you were asking for, I'd recommend "South of the Border, West of the Sun" over "Kafka on the Shore"

I'd even recommend "Sputnik Sweetheart" for what you're craving more than "Kafka on the Shore"
    i think you're looking for something that snaps. and "Kafka on the Shore" is a trudge. you get somewhere kinda nice at the end - but it's reputation largely revolves around Kafka idealism in an unanswering Japan. isn't even as exciting as "Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman"

If you were gonna dive into Kafka on the Shore - I think you should read "Wild Sheep Chase" first.

But yes, 'South of the Border, West of the Sun" is amazing, and relatable, and mysterious, and there's music,and it's compelling and remorseful.
    active reading! and it just gets better every fucking time you read it.
  • @colony Being and time is being and fine, the intro is obscure as fuck but once you get through that the first chapter changes the whole game and u understand that phenomenology is ontology which is a pretty big deal imo
  • turns out i was thinking about someone else w the whole eastern influence thing. either way which translation did you get? planning on reading this fine book at some point this year.
  • damn shakespeare's titus andronicus has some of the most brutal allusions to ovid.
  • edited February 2018
    about to finish seneca's letters and man i feel bad for this guy he seemed like a really nice guy but nero is that evil roman emperor meme smh. the book itself is pretty plain and the ethics behind it are basic things that i hope ppl learn when they're young. a lot of the stoic principles that he talks about in his letters were just fundamentals that were absorbed into christianity so it sounds a lot like jesus. the translation could've been a little less historical and more loose so that it didn't feel so dull at times. i guess that was the mans greatest gift a plain and concise expression of how to not be an animal.
  • about halfway through "South of the Border, West of the Sun", i really like it so far definitely interested to see where it goes
  • edited February 2018
    I just got to the part where Shimamoto shows up at the bar to visit him and asks him to take her to a river that flows fast into the sea, i have literally no clue where that's going lol
  • edited February 2018
    @ocaml I keep adding style="color: white" to the span to try and hide it for spoilers but it removes it when i save. any ideas?
  • edited February 2018
    not sure if u can

• I've seen people do it in other threads, idk :/
  • edited February 2018

about chapter 10, then! i look forward to the discussion!
  • you never take someone to the river that flows fast into the sea before?
  • finished. still processing so i don't have much to say yet, but i definitely feel enriched having read it
  • a great recommendation, would love some more
  • i really liked the wind up bird chronicle if you liked that one. its the only murakami book i enjoyed all the way through though.
  • it's been a while since i tried to read "the windup Bird Chronicle" i don't get it. and i know a lot people liked it, ...i became uninterested at a certain point of disappearances and foreshadowing of water being dangerous and put it down.

i liked the description of the brother early on - i dont think im suppose to like him-but the change that is described about him, prefame and then after fame.

and the long details about pasta making....
  • i dont know if this is a real idea - or if it was a joke between me and friends some time ago that now sits as a factual idea in my mind,

but i'll say it how i remember it-
    Windup Bird Chronicle is actually a failed attempt at a cook book surrounded by a story, to get you from one receipe to the next and entertain you with spectulative mystery till the next dish.

• edited February 2018
    i like that concept. i've only encountered a few instructional works that are also tragic narratives, where you think to yourself why am i photoshopping a ring off of someone's finger or making sql queries joining people to lost animals.
  • edited February 2018
    what i'm trying to say around the excitement & fantasy of work and writing:
    that was a cool twist to the idea and an avenue of thought I lacked an insight for, even in the vocabulary (instructional work), but now that i see it, i'd like to play with it.
  • edited February 2018
    i think it's a really good concept with a fun end goal.
  • i dont really remember much about it because i read it in high school but i remember enjoying it. murakami ain't really my favorite though and i can definitely relate to the failed cook book reference when reading his work lol.
  • is gravity's rainbow worth reading?
  • try crying of lot 49 first to see if u like that kind of writing
  • cool thanks for the suggestion
  • crying of lot 49 has the best sex scene in literature and it’s not rlly close
  • edited February 2018
    Fun Hegel idea:

The essence of matter is gravity
    Matter, like all things, drives twords it’s ideal
    Since gravity is it’s essence it’s ideal is a single point, it’s center, which it constantly tries to reach but can not
    Thus one can define matter as that which has its center outside itself, while thought(spirit) has its center inside itself, and is precisely that which has itself as its center -
    This is a super novel way of interpreting that thought is ideal (obviously), while matter is not (obviously).