book

Comments

• One day when I’m rlly rlly smart I’m going to understand that which can be labeled “The Hegelian unconscious”
  • edited February 2018
    Reading Phil of history before I go to bed
    It’s fuckin cool
    I should finish my other books like being and time but for some obscure reason I’m repelled from them at the moment
  • Correction: "Lady Chatterley's Lover" has some of the best sex scenes in literature.
  • stoner and katherine tho
  • penelope and odysseus tho
  • i haven't read any of those books. i hate to be a obtuse, but that's just how it's working out.

I watched a telling of Homer on "wishbone"!!!
    and i have a great mythology book with short tales

and i've never read either of those too big books, "ulysses" or "the iliad" because ...i guess it's really - for the same reason i never read "Moby Dick". Life's too short for bad books and, i mean, how much do those stories speak to me? I know them in parts - like an old movie that remains connected to culture, but I'm not in that culture - so i know it in parts cuz i've been flipping through the channels.

i know it cuz it's pressed upon me and that's always a turn off.
  • edited February 2018
    but I'll check out the sex scenes, tho. =)

i assumed there were allusions to sex, ofcourse, Penelope has to fend off suitors, Odysseus is held sex slavish to that woman, also sirens and such. i figured they were equivalents to a camera panning from the bed to an open window with pillowing curtains. "sexual-relations"

"Lady Chatterley's Lover" is D.H. Lawrence talking about cunts and fucking. i get that. ^o^
    oh - and it's mind and body stuff, too.

i.fucking.get'it!
  • edited February 2018
    lol i rejoice in that proclivity demikat. i dream as if i was a greek noble in athens not summoning but being in a world of art regenerate. my joy for written word is not a celebration of inculsion for which to hide my own frustrations and ineptitude but a wilderness of lush and pompness to refine my spirit. perhaps its all to make that mask, one that i’ve found to relinquish the anxiety of being.

ishmael, one of a proclivity to find what is tempestuous and form-making on a sphere with unkown arcs and tangents, perhaps i love that melville tome
  • @demika i missed that last comment. the scene of odysseus with penelope may merely be a scene of long lost companions sharing a room for an eternity and having love beyond the ritual of sexuality that modern beds have made. there’s no verbiage to suggest that odysseus and circes had done the damn thing and such isnt present on ithaca as well. its more the romance and conexion which i may feel obliged to assert it all for the sake of posterity, or at least an ageless mindedness
  • ah! and here i thought you rejoiced my comments completely. what a thrill to be accepted and then thrown to the tides (ó﹏ò。)

• haha the tides are as forgiving as the moon
  • i especially like books from the late 19th and early 20th century, particularly pre- and post-WWI.

because i mentioned it/reminded myself of it, I've been reading "Lady Chat's Lover" again. I've read so many books and poems from this time period of Post Great War that talk about a shift in humanity; the horror on a social level and disillusion upon realizing that the Great War and all the death and destruction was for capitalism. the authors of this time period often talk of a time before, the way humans use to be and how they seem to not be anymore.

i love the twilight of things. neither day nor night; not what it was or what it will become.
    and then, that turn of 20th century psychology, especially behavorialist, coming in rippin the shit out of humans.

Or Junichiro Tanizaki "In Praise of Shadows" so reasonable and nationalistic "What if Japan?" and "Why not Japan?" and then the bombs came and all is changed in the narrative. and if you follow someone like Haruki Murakami, then you see the narrative as being lost completely. and he writes in search of the new narrative in the twilight of things, in the not being and the not becoming, yet existing.
  • thought y'all might appreciate this from the book i'm reading:

At the end of our interview Ogle (lead engineer of Spotify's Discover Weekly) and I talked about how most music fans (but not all) are fundamentally conservative. They like what they like, and don't want to be too challenged by music. "The line from psychologists is, if you've seen it before, it hasn't killed you yet," I joked.

Ogle's face lit up. "I have a story for you," he said. The original version of Discovery Weekly was supposed to include only songs users had never heard before. But in it's first internal test at Spotify, a bug in the algorithm let through songs that the users already knew. "Everyone reported it as a bug, and we fixed it so that every single song was totally new," he said.

But after his team fixed the bug, something unusual happened: Engagement with the playlist fell. "It turns out having a bit of familiarity bred trust, especially for first time users. If we make a new playlist for you and there's not a single thing for you to hook onto or recognize, to go, 'Oh yea, that's a good call!' it's complete intimidating and people don't engage."

The original bug was actually an essential feature. Discover Weekly was a more appealing product when it had even one familiar band or song. "I think users wanted to trust the feature, but they were waiting for some sign that it knew them, too," Ogle said. Spotify users wanted a fresh taste. But they also wanted to make sure that it wouldn't kill them.
  • is it just me or is this guy pathologizing the likes of shakespeare and JJ

• ive never read the DSM tho. might be on my reading list somewhere after the divine comedy but before don quixote
  • edited February 2018
    Don Quixote near the bottom
  • Like, after the science of logic
  • Before the histories tho tbh
  • I heard dsm 5 is just a collection of footnotes for quixote
  • edited February 2018
    reading list

Ovid
    Homer
    The bible
    Ovid
    Ulysses
    Dante
    Ovid
    The Secret History of the Mongols
    The Bible
    The Mahabharata
    Homer
    Hamlet
    The Mahabharata
    Hamlet
    Ovid
    Homer
    Ulysses
  • edited April 2018
    doing two books a month this year as part of my vow to read more often. here's where i'm at so far.

Loved:
    Between the World and Me - Ta-Nehisi Coates
    South of the Border, West of the Sun - Haruki Murakami
    The Fire Next Time - James Baldwin

Liked:
    Hit Makers: The Science of Popularity in an Age of Distraction - Derek Thompson
    The Sun and Her Flowers - Rupi Kaur

Lukewarm on:
    The Reluctant Fundamentalist - Moshin Hamid

Currently reading:
    You Have The Right To Remain Innocent - James Duane
    Fluke: The Math and Myth of Coincidence - Joseph Mazur

Started but could not get into:
    Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel García Márquez
  • definitely looking for suggestions especially in terms of fiction, a lot of nonfiction in my queue which i'm down for but it'd be nice to have some variety
  • edited April 2018
    psyche! this not a general thread.
  • some quotes from the book I'm currently reading regarding the criminal justice system:

"Because of [vague] laws like this and countless others, legal experts now agree that just about everybody in the nation, whether they know it or not, is guilty of numerous federal felonies for which they could be prosecuted. One reliable estimate is that the average American now commits approximately three felonies a day. As one federal judge recently observed, because there are 'thousands of federal crimes, and hundreds of thousands of federal regulations that can be criminally enforced,' the sad truth today is that 'most people have committed at least one crime carrying very serious consequences,' including countless Americans who have no idea what law they have broken, or how they may have done so. This is why you cannot listen to your conscience when faced by a police officer and think, I have nothing to hide."

"In Mississippi, police officers told a suspect that he might be able to 'get it straight' and be out of prison in time to see his four-year-old daughter's first day of school, if he confessed. The court said this officer, because of it's seeming specificity, was 'more troubling' than those in most similar cases, in which the officer makes nothing more than a general promise to bring the suspect's cooperation to the attention of the judge. But the federal trial judge, and later the court of appeals, over-looked the deception because they felt the defendant should have known from prior experience with the criminal justice system that the police cannot be trusted, and that 'there were limits on the authority of detectives to bring less charges or offer a shorter sentence.' But that did not stop those officers rom lying to the suspect and using his trust to their advantages after he agreed to talk. He was convicted and sentenced to over 80 years in a federal prison."
  • edited July 2018
    hegel overrated
  • kant well rated
  • sarte underrated
  • edited July 2018
    focault both under and over rated
  • a summary of my summer reading
  • I visited a freind Georgetown last week and had two seperate experiences in which people lied about about having read classic works of philosophy. I feel like that confirmed my pretensions about highly rated universities so brutally that it had to be a fluke lol