book

Comments

• foucault vs derrida go
  • edited July 2018
    derrida is cool, his initial influence was def a misstep for philosophy as a whole imo- since a lot of people without a lot of respect for or foundation in the tradition suddenly started deconstructing everything- which was a really bad look to everyone on the outside and haunts the reception of non-analytic philosophy in America to this day. That said, his contemporary influence is actually growing to emphasize his specific nature/culture, man/animal deconstruction(s) in the newish field of ‘Animal Studies’ which is a lot more interesting of a project imo.

That said in my own life Focault’s been a bigger influence and I’m pretty sure has had a more constant pressure on Academia despite his much shorter career. Focault is one of those thinkers whose ideas regulary come up in day to day life and actually help you conceptualize your own life and time in a meaningful way that can percipitate practical decisions, which is cool.
  • So yeah Focault especially cuz reading 13 pages of derrida takes the same time as like 35 pages of Focault lol
  • it's been a while since I've read them, but Shooty's analysis sounds, well, sound.
  • so in Australia, the strawberry industry is having a scare cuz sewing needles have been discovered in the fruit.

Reminds me of a book I read as a kid called "The Pushcart War".
    In it, Pushcart vendors are battling for space on the street against trucking companies in the early 20th century. In an act of resistence, the Pushcart vendors disguise sewing needles with a single pea each, then stabbed them? (blowdart them) into the tires of the trucks, causing annoyance and chaos in the form of flat tires.

watch out! cut your fruit up! @TTK and everyone else, i guess.
  • guess what though

I eat a pack of strawberries almost daily. I fucking love them. Never found a single needle though.
  • so would you say it is a scare? or just something being hyped in foreign media? @TTK
    Phil Defranco had a whole piece on it, 'swhy I'm asking.
  • yeah I saw that.

I dunno if its being over hyped because apparently they're destroying tonnes of stock and there's measures being implemented to search for any potential metal.
    I just havent heard anything about it until watching the Defranco show!
  • @demikat just started the new Murakami, have you read it yet?
  • i haven't, but I'm interested. it slipped my mind! but i'm good for a read and looking. Thanks @ ManateeMaster
  • reading If Beale Street Could Talk since I loved the film so much. Really been sleeping on Baldwin for way too long.

Got b&n money for christmas so I also got Blood Meridian (which I’ll likely read next) and Infinite Jest (which I will read... someday. Loving DFW’s short stories, or at least the ones I’ve read, so I will definitely get to it.)
  • Fire next time is really great and short if you like essays
  • Love all three of those, Robby. Great selection.
  • These were the books I got from my family this Christmas. We’ll see when I get to them.
  • Blood Meridian is out of this world
  • @toon I wanna read that as well as Go Tell it On the Mountain
  • also for anyone that has read Infinite Jest, I went ahead and read the James Incandenza filmography endnote and uh... wow
  • i finished one flew over the cuckoo’s nest. it was astonishingly good. those final pages had me in tears. when i set it down, i just thought and thought for at least an hour. it was wonderful and human and sad and hopeful.

i loved kesey’s prose throughout. his style is very fluid, easy to read but extremely vivid; the way he weaved metaphorical language into chief bromden’s internal monologue was incredible. rarely have i read something so, i dunno, descriptively precise; i felt like i could see what the chief was seeing, like i could inhabit his perspective warped by mental illness and decades of suffocating systemic oppression.

fuck, best book i’ve read in ages. i hear the movie is just as good, so i’ll have to watch it soon. somehow i doubt it will reach these heights - it’s a high bar.
  • The film is fantastic, I haven't read the book, though. I really want to now @geogadd1
  • i haven't read it in a long time, but i liked it a lot when i read it. i thought the movie was okay but did not fully capture what i loved about the book as translating first person to third person will often do
  • Halfway through Beale Street and holy fucking god this book hurts my soul
  • finished Beale Street yesterday and started Blood Meridian today. Anyone else read any McCarthy?
  • i've tried reading blood meridian 3 times because mccarthy is great writer but the whole thing just felt like a nightmare i didnt feel like recalling lol.
  • i've heard the ending is powerful though so i'll prob finish it some day.
  • i loved The Road, haven't read anything else by him
  • @colony I’m one chapter in and a character already gouged out someone’s eyeball so yeah I’m in for a ride lol
  • I’ve read No Country, The Road, and Blood Meridian. All are so different, in style and form, but all speak so distinctly about violence.
  • @dallas how would you rank them personally? and how would you rank them for someone getting in to mccarthy (i.e. which should i read first)? long overdue for me & would love some help. :)
  • i'd start with all the pretty horses. kinda eases you into the dark epic and vernacular writing.