book

Comments

• How are those books about the future?
  • the book of mormon describes what happens after you die, which is in the future
  • I'm just gonna read hustler instead
  • never change
  • @Nick--read Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities. He's my "weirder" pick in my list of faves.
  • I vote emily dickenson but my poet knowledge is sub par
  • She's rightly canonized
  • Bukowski's poetry is pretty bitchin
  • But who would wanna be such an asshole
  • Im back into getting booked the FUCK up after my classics reading plan crashed and burned when don Quixote ended up being fucking boring as hell (((imo))).
    I just read portrait of the artist as a young man by James Joyce, which I thouht was incredible. Finishing Homage to Catalonia and starting Picture of Dorian Gray rn, and I've got The Roots of Civilization by abdullah ocalan and The Road to Surfdom by Hayek in the mail rn.
    WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN FUCKING READING TND??
  • Oh right were not tnd any more
  • WHAT THE FUCK HAVE YOU BEEN READING HOTTIES
  • Shakespeare season approaching.

(I'm reading Twelfth Night with my seniors this year. Excited).
  • I gotchu, even though my personal reading has gone down the toilet.
  • DomDom
    edited January 2016
    @secondplanet The Fate of Africa sounds fascinating. I actually did a module called 'African Modernities: Popular Cultures in Twentieth Century Africa' while I was at university and found it really interesting. Just added you on goodreads as well, although I doubt you'll find any recs from me as your to-read list looks pretty comprehensive!

@shooty what did you think of Homage to Catalonia?
  • I kind of slacked on reading through December but trying to read more frequently in 2016 as I have always been a bit intermittent in the past.

I'm currently reading Inherent Vice which I'm really enjoying.The Crying of Lot 49 is the only book I've read by Thomas Pynchon before, but he seems to have changed his style quite a bit in the intervening years.

I'm also reading This is How You Lose Her, a short story collection by Junot Díaz. I read The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by the same author a couple of weeks ago and really loved that. I'm finding this one a bit samey though... like all the stories just repeat the same sort of characters and motifs.
  • I've been reading Amy Spencer's: "D.I.Y: The Rise of Lo-Fi Culture". I started to read Ernest Cline's second novel because I really liked "Ready Player One" but his second novel isn't so hot. I even started writing over some of the passage to make it better/funnier for me.

a fun happenstance that I discovered after the fact: I held the same position as Junot Diaz in the special residence hall. As in, when he went to my university, he lived in the same dorm that I lived in and we were both presidents of the creative writing forum, respectively.
  • @2nd yeah I really wanted to read something pkk related and I decided to just go strait for the source. I would have read the democratic confederalism manifesto but idk if anyone really wants to read something called the democratic confederalism manifesto. This seemed much more palatable (and applicable!)

@dom not finished yet, but planning to be done by tomarro. I thought it started kind of slowly and boringly, but as it has progressed and I guess as I learned more about the nature of the conflict I'm enjoying it a ton more. wattduthink?
  • On a side note, I'm a chapter and a half into The Picture of Dorian Gray and it's already the best thing I have ever read
  • I'm also reading Capital Vol. 1 by Marx with one of my friends but thats like a once or twice a week when we feel like it thing lol. Marx is an atrocious writer imo
  • I loved Homage to Catalonia, it was probably my second favourite book I read last year... but I was kind of predisposed to like it.

The Spanish Civil War was my main subject in the final year of my degree so I had a really good contextual understanding of all the different parties on each side of the war. Studying History tends to be dehumanising as you focus on trends and politics rather than people so it I found it really refreshing to read a personal account of someone's experience in the war. (I read it just after I finished my course as I wanted to save it until the end).

I really like Orwell's writing style so I was pretty much hooked whatever he was discussing. I did find the action-oriented bits the most enjoyable though, like the section about the suppression of the POUM and the May Days of Barcelona. It was really cool to read in detail about what it was like to experience those events.

I also thought it was fascinating that it was published before the war ended so it was interesting to see his optimism that his side would end up victorious.

• @demi that's a pretty cool coincidence!
  • @secondplanet added u. that's an impressive to-read list, i keep having to trim mine down otherwise i'll go insane lol
    @shootymane i also really liked portrait of the artist as a young man but im too scared to try ulysses yet because i know im just gonna be looking at the fuckin sparknotes half the time. also i should probably read capital but i just dont think i'll really learn much except that it's still hard for me to read something like that without getting distracted.
    anyone else who wants to add me im @ goodreads.com/ignitionremix finished infinite jest a month or two ago but mostly i've just been reading comics lately.
  • @voleypoley Yeah I can't handle books of that length at the moment, I have to many things I want to read. On the otherhand, I don't know when else in my life I am going to have time to read Ulysses, and it's something I really need to do, especially because people keep calling portrait of the artist and "introduction" to joyce and I really don't think they are talking about finnigans wake lol.
    The Picture of Dorian Gray is still incredible btw everyone woo book
  • reading Slaughterhouse-Five after it has been recommended to me by nearly every hardcore reader I know. So it goes.
  • I'm bummed out that I can't reply "so it goes" now.

Hi ho. Lonesome no more!
  • About half way through sophie's choice... this thing is so beautifully tragic and extremely well written. Been close to tears a number of times already.
  • The film is quite good. I'm glad to hear that the book is powerful as well.