book

Comments

• have you seen the movie too @benneh? if so, are there differences? minor or major? (i've only seen the movie)
  • Not seen the movie dude but i'd imagine it's a more condensed version. The book is almost 700 pages long. I'll definitely check out the film once I've finished the book.
  • Not seen the movie dude but i'd imagine it's a more condensed version. The book is almost 700 pages long. I'll definitely check out the film once I've finished the book.
  • Meryl Streep is one of the most famous actors in the world, and of every performance I've seen of hers, Sophie's Choice is my favorite. Followed by Adaptation. and Deer Hunter.
  • edited February 2016
    Fuck the classics. Read contemporary.

John's Wife - Robert Coover
    Fragrant Harbor - John Lanchester
    Another Marvelous Thing - Laurie Colwin (excellent beyond descritption, such a tragedy she died of cancer:(....)
    Stories by Djuna Barnes
    Interpreter of Maladies Jhumpa Lahiri (her only book worh reading IMO, but it is soooo good)

And for the most hilarious, laugh-out-loud, people think you're crazy at the airport:
    GOING DOWN by Jennifer Belle (another "only book worth reading" from a particular author)
  • Speaking of (fuck the) classics, I think I've officially become a Shakespeare obsessive. Really, I just now acknowledge that I've always been one.

I just love the plays--every single one that I've read.

I like to teach plays that I haven't read/haven't read in a while because the challenge of diving into the soliloquies and language is such a thrill for me.
  • edited February 2016
    Shakespeare Power Rankings:

1. Hamlet
    2. The Tempest
    3. Macbeth
    4. King Lear
    5. Othello
    6. Midsummer
    7. Henry V
    8. Richard III
    9. Julius Caesar
    10. Twelfth Night
    11. Merchant of Venice
    12. Richard II
    13. Henry IV Pt 1
    14. Henry IV Pt 2
    15. Romeo and Juliet
    16. A Winter's Tale
    17. Antony and Cleopatra
    18. As You Like It
    19. Much Ado About Nothing
    20. Coriolanus
    21. Titus Andronicus
    22. Taming of the Shrew
    23. Comedy of Errors
    24. Cymbeline

I think that is all I've read.
  • Shakespeare power rankings

1. Midsummer
    2. Hamlet
    3. Macbeth
    4. Merchant
    5. Romeo
  • All good picks.
  • What I love about Midsummer--it is all a set up for a "kiss my ass" joke.
  • My favorite part of midsummer is when shakedawg invents the line "If you like him so much why don't you marry him!?"
  • full disclosure: those are the only 5 I have read and 3 of them were for school
  • I teach Shakespeare, and I switch the comedy I teach every year to the seniors because I want to read more. I make the kids get up in front of class and act/read. We have lightsabers for the fights and have a good ole time.

I'm for sure doing Midsummer next year if I teach senior English. After that, I'm probably going to teach Merchant of Venice. My first year doing a comedy I taught As You Like It, which was fun given all of the gender stuff--the same for Twelfth Night this year.
  • The only Shakespeare I've read was Taming of the Shrew. Somehow I went through middle and high school with only one assigned Shakespeare play to read.

His work seems so hard to get into, it's so wordy and strange to me.
  • edited February 2016
    @Billy, classics are all I seem to be interested in nowadays. Used to read a lot of contemporary in my early 20's but not so much anymore.
  • Also, not sure whether to put this here or in the podcast thread but does anyone listen to The New Yorker: Fiction? It's a really great podcast if you're into reading and analysing fiction.
  • edited February 2016
    For what it's worth I will say reading is always better than not reading, so go ahead and read the classics all you want. I have done my share of just forcing my way through them for some weird, masochistic ideal of self-cultural enlightenment...almost universally to "meh" effect. The aforementioned Don Quixote being the biggest dissapointment for me and the nigh unreadable Moby Dick being the straw that I used as tinder to burn that fucking library of wasted hours to dust.
    To make an art analagy: some people just like the Met, with it's Old Masters and armour and it's built-in respectability. I get it. Who could fail to be impressed by Vermeer or Gericault? But right down the street is MoMa, and that is where the best of the Old-School went and began to PLAY. For every Rembrandt there is a Currin. For every Goya, there is a Freud. Like Courbet's Origin of the World? You will LOVE Eric Fischl (There may or may not be a parallel for Durer, but there is your Shakespeare in this tortured analogy). And there is NO equivalent for Gary Hume in the distant past! The list goes on and ON. That's the beauty of contemporary. There is depth AND breadth of style and talent.
    For a forum with such hyper-modern sensibilities as far as music is concerned, I admit to being slightly shocked with the fuddyness of this particular art-form....absolutely no disrespect intended. I think everyone should dig deeper.

• Whos the modern joyce tho
  • edited February 2016
    I am totally guilty of prefering classics and famous works though, at least atm and that is no small part due to a quest for (likely imaginary) cultural relivance lol
  • edited February 2016
    Joyce? Pynchon. Or Barth, or Coover
    Wilde? Twain. Or Vonnegut
    Cendrars? I am unfamiliar....you can't read everything:(

Anyway, the point isn't that there is a modern equivalence for simply everyone, but that there is an equivalent quality available from living authors as long dead.

One of the things I hate about Star Trek is all the music you ever hear is fucking classical. Riker plays the goddamn TROMBONE (was that instrument EVER of cultural significance?). I realize that is probably due to public domain vs. costs of paying composers to write original music , but it's the implication that nothing of cultural significance happened in 600 years is nonsense. I call bullshit on that and any other claim that only old, established masterworks have "real" value.
  • I've read enough twain and vonnegut to know that they don't scratch the same itch, but ill admit pynchon lol.
  • I guess the thing is that classics happen to be classic for a reason
  • Like don Quixote, we share the same oppinion of it, but theres a certain value in reading the first novel ever written that trancends regular litterary satisfaction, no?
  • On top of that, upon completing a classic, you enter into a fraternal bond with the massive number of other people who have also completed it.
    Suddenly you become elligible to enter into conversations that have in some cases been going on for centuries
  • confederacy of dunces is so good fuck yall ignatious ass haters
  • D A T E D
    A
    T
    E
    D
  • on the reals tho, that book is quite a portrait of post psycho analytic society. everyone projects so much in that book
  • confederacy is don quixote's contemporary translation