book

Comments

• Nah i was a redwall kid
  • redwall had some pretty good descriptions of food, that's pretty much all I remember. better than those warrior cat books, I'm sure, which I also read :(
  • I was never a big reader, read a couple books in school that I didn't end up stopping halfway through. Life of Pi, another one that I really loved but I can't remember...had a boat on the front or something with an orange cover...

anyways, started reading the first book of Harry Potter and lost interest a quarter of the way through.

Picked it up again in high school and that was probably the fastest I have ever read any book(s), let alone 7 (don't think that last one was out yet actually by the time I had finished the others) in a row. Probably the first time I have ever just chosen to sit down and read as opposed to doing something.
  • edited April 2016
    @VolesTomb I also knew kids that couldn't read Harry Potter. My parents were fine with it and bought my sister and I two copies of the last few books because they knew we'd fight over who could read the new book first.

My 7th grade homeroom teacher loved Harry Potter. When the first 2nd movie came out, she went to every showing and basically lived in theater.
  • edited April 2016
    edits again! i was on the wrong page of this discussion and blah blah blah
  • edited April 2016
    robert graves' I, Claudius is a really masterful piece of work.
  • **reaches other side of 20 something bell curve and looks back at the rising wall**
  • is historical fiction adult fantasy?
  • only if being an adult means having really terrible fantasies.
  • edited April 2016
    not if fantasy is a form of nostalgia
  • @O what is historical fiction? what is creative non-fiction? Is there a difference?

i was going to be flippant again, for humors sake, but now I'm wondering how these things are understood by others.
  • game of thrones is adult fantasy. because of it's got all the titties
  • historical fiction is just like the magic treehouse i think
  • edited April 2016
    historical fiction fashions the immutable in fitted cloth.
  • edited April 2016
    creative non-fiction is software
  • edited April 2016
    "all of this makes sense and i fucking love it" is what i wanted to say.
  • @Ocaml what does that mean?
  • edited April 2016
    At first I thought "fashion" = the verb "make into a particular or the required form" & "immutable" = adj. "unchanging over time or unable to be changed"

but i think he's using the word fashion as a noun to mean "a manner of doing something" therefore

"historical fiction [styles] the [unchanging] fitted cloth. fitted cloth being used as an analogy for the historical event. You can change qualities of the fitted sheet (color, pattern, texture) but you can't change its purpose or size. it still has to fit on the bed. fitting on the bed is still the end game.

Lincoln getting shot int he theater is still the end game of a historical event. but in a historical fiction - he might have had an affair with a waitress before being shot in the head.
  • edited April 2016
    "Creative non-fiction is software."

This one is a little more open for me. I don't know many nuisances of software to make concise correlations; just a basic, fog of understanding "software". Most of my connections come from my understanding of creative non-fiction.

I know that software is created by an individual to perform a function. i believe the analogy is that software is the personal "story" of the creator, like creative non-fiction is the person story of the author.
  • nah immutable = history, fitted cloth = palatable fiction
  • Software is not fiction but you need to be creative to code
  • I am a registered ocamologist
  • o0o0o0o so possessive, Shooty. Do you also rock his rock necklaces? (∩_∩)
  • historical fiction fashions the "history" in "palatable fiction". palatable = pleasant to taste; acceptable or satisfactory.

historical fiction fashions the history in [pleasant to taste] fiction.
    historical fiction fashions the history in [acceptable or satisfactory] fiction.
  • lol is there a demonstrative pretense to your analysis demikat? i believe you altered the syntax while interpreting the structure yet honored the ultimate meaning thru the lincoln example.
  • edited April 2016
    a fault of my nature! persuasion is a talent and I hone it when I can. (^○^)
    I'm also a structuralist. typing and language are when i get to do it the most and it's very satisfying.

deconstruction and explicative paraphrasing are how i make sense of change.
  • robert graves' asceticism is fascinating. i kinda get it in a way.

http://www.theparisreview.org/interviews/4178/the-art-of-poetry-no-11-robert-graves
  • I finished the myth of sisyphus for the third time last night and started on the forth can't stop won't stop
  • I also picked up The Posessed by Dosteovdawg bcuz camus talks a lot about it in tmos we'll see if I actually read it lol
  • someone needs to tell that dude to write shorter books I'd like to actualy read his shit but everything besides notes from the underground is like 800 pages like gottam I only allot so much time to existential fiction a day